.308 effective distance?

My wife was able to take her deer at 675 yards with my buddies savage 308. I reloaded for that gun using the 155gr A-Max going 2950. He dropped on the spot. He did manage to get his feet back under him and ran about 50 yards straight towatd us. She hit behind the shoulder and got complete pass through. Left about 3 inch exit hole.

Have used the 308 for many years with no reget for both deer and elk and whats in between.
Point of use is 1000 fps of energy for deer and 1500 fps for elk that tells me my range....
Figure the average speed of the bullet with the weight go to jmb ballistics get an answer.

the most important PART is hitting one at long range. 300 win mag gives you a big advantage.

Have used the 308 for many years with no reget for both deer and elk and whats in between.
Point of use is 1000 fps of energy for deer and 1500 fps for elk that tells me my range....
Figure the average speed of the bullet with the weight go to jmb ballistics get an answer.

***You are talking about ft/lbs of energy at POI, not fps of the bullet!

I never get shots in Michigan over 70 yards and most were under 50 yards.
In all respects please make sure you can make a shot that far. practice, and watch over your shoulder, the anti-hunters, they love to trash hunters for any reason. I get to shoot out at a farm
at targets the size of a dinner plate with a pile of stumps as a backstop.
I know I could kill any Deer out to 500 yards, thats as far as I want to shoot at any Deer.
the .308 is a good calibre.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts