.308 down to .243?

Triggernosis

If I were to purchase an off-the-shelf rifle in .308, isn't it a fairly simple process to convert it to a .243 simply by replacing the barrel?

After handling an A-Bolt 1000 Eclipse, I'd like to have one in .243 but, alas, they don't make it in that caliber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I'm thinking one of you guys (lookout Kirby!) could have me up and running with a .243 if I got the .308.

Trigger,
The Boyds thumbhole stock on that gun is only $90. Look on thier website. Far cheaper than replacing a barrel.

[ QUOTE ]
Trigger,
The Boyds thumbhole stock on that gun is only $90. Look on thier website. Far cheaper than replacing a barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grit,
Yes, I understand that...it's the heavy .243 barrel that I need. Browning doesn't make a "heavy" .243 that I'm aware of.

I should've looked. Always seems to be that way. Someone is always putting a package together not quite right... A friend has the varmint stalker in 243wssm. Little better ballistics. And the stock on it has quite a nice feal. Don't know the prices... Good luck!

Not trying to play games but I have a ruger varmiter factory rifle that is an absolute tack driver. It comes right from the factory with a heavy 26" barrel and laminated stock. Local Smith did a good trigger job on it. It will shoot 5 shot groups you can cover with a nickel. My buddy has the same gun and his is a shooter too.
55 grain BT's will crank out at 4025 fps too!

[ QUOTE ]
Someone is always putting a package together not quite right...

[/ QUOTE ]
Most definitely! I never can quite understand what the heck the marketing folks are thinking about when they come up with some of this stuff.

I'm intentionally avoiding the WSSM cartridges like the plague...entirely out of principle and for no other reason. Maybe I'm being shortsighted, but I just don't see the need for the WSSM, or WSM, cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts