.308 data

Thanks, I am slowly starting to get my head around all this. Any good books or DVDs

It is always good to have more than one manual. It takes a little time to accumulate but as you progress it will pay in the end. I have one from all but the Berger that i use dating back to the 60's. I do not have DVD's as they cannot be looked at on my bench. Enjoy and good shooting to you. .....SEMPER FI! ..... LARRY

A load I love for my .308 is 43.5 grains of varget, 168 grain amax's. I get solid 1/2 moa from my factory rem 700 XCR long range.

I have the same gun and just got my best group so far. I use Lapua brass, CCi 210 primers, 43.5 grains of Varget with 175 sierras. I shot a 4 shot group and got a .34, it blew my mind.

This is not what you are looking for but I post this simply to show you how versatile the 308 is to load for. Remington M40, Winchester brass, CCI primers, 45 grains IMR 4895, 125 grain Nosler Hunting BT and it shoots .192 groups at 3000 fps day in and day out.

Last edited:
It's interesting the groups are all exactly the same size. Never thought that was possible except at the muzzle where they are all zero inch/MOA.

Actually most of them are better than .192. I took the worst group in over five years because some people don't believe how good it shoots. I wanted to show what can be achieved with a little time and tinkering with components. The starting load came from an old Sierra manual from the early 70's and was refined over several months.

And you are right, the groups are all the same size at the muzzle. Is not the main purpose of reloading is to try to replicate the group at the muzzle?

Is not the main purpose of reloading is to try to replicate the group at the muzzle?
Not when muzzle velocities have greater than zero spread and all the bullets are unbalanced to some tiny amount. Anything under .200 inch/MOA at 100 is as good as benchresters get with their stuff in smaller calibers.

At least in my opinion dealing with the realities of how precise folks can make rifles, ammo and their ability to use them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.