.308 charge too hot?

odsixer

So I have a .308 savage 10fp, loading 168gr SMK with Varget and my groups have been getting better all the way up to 45.7 grains which is the lyman manuals max recommended load. So far no pressure signs but the ambient temp during testing has been around the freezing mark. So my concern is going too hot at this ambient temp then getting increased pressure in the summer months. Groups have shrunk to about 1/2moa so I think that's fine but I can't help being curious about just how accurate this thing can be.

Thanks for any advice.

It would be my guess that it won't be a problem unless your ammo gets laid out in some really hot summer sun. I'd say you wouldn't have a problem up to 80-85 degrees. Letting it cook directly in 100 degree sun....my bet would be off.
As a test can you warm up your barrel with some shooting....keep a cartridge in your pocket or by a car heater.....then leave it in that warm barrel for about 1 minute before firing and see what you get?? NOt scientific but somewhat reasonable.

Good luck with trying to get Varget to vary much with temp. It ain't gonna happen. I've shot some real warm loads with a lot of the extreme powders. From single digits all the way to nearly 100*. Not a lot of diffenence.

I worked a max load in one of my .233s with varget in the winter time, around here the temp stays around 0 to 10 degrees out, shot it all year and had no problems. If you are worried that you might get to much pressure just back down the load and work up to what you had.

Speer #14 says 46gr Varget max IMI brass, cci 200, 250* Best load was 44.5 in fed or lapua brass.

Speer #14 says 46gr Varget max IMI brass, cci 200, 250* Best load was 44.5 in fed or lapua brass 210M primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.