308 bullets

G

I have a 700 vs looking for a good long range bullet. The Lapua Scenar 155gr have a bc of .508, and the 167gr bc is .470. Has anyone had success with these. What about Sierra, or custom?

thank you
wayne

three way

you use a light bullet wih highter BC is their weight class ( 155 Sierra palma or Lapua ) and you try to push it as fast you can .

you use a good custom bullet in the 200 g range as JLK ,BERGER, Clinch River .

you use the 240 SMK ( with big case ) to use the best BC bullet in 30 cal

you can run on balistic software these 3 options and make your choice after to have compare wind drift/path/cost/range .

good shooting

DAN TEC

I assume your vs has a 26" barrel. If it does you should have a 1 in 12" twist. I am not sure how far you want to shoot, but if you want to shoot 1K with that gun 2 very good choices are the Sierra 155 and 175 match kings. Your barrel is made for the 168, but the 168 isnt the best choice for 1K shooting. The 175 will work best in your barrel if the velocities are about max. Say 2700 to 2750. The 168 is an excellent 300-600 yard performer.

I'll second the 175gr SMK load... look around here, and the forums at www.accuratereloading.com and www.snipershide.com. Search for 'OCW' and 'green788'. The guys has some awesome loads worked up. The basic 175gr SMK load goes like this (work up to make sure it isn't too hot for your gun):

175gr SMK, seated to max magazine length (2.825" in my 700VS)
Winchester cases, prepped as much as you want
CCI BR2 primers
45.0gr Varget

This load gives about 2750fps, w/ very low extreme spread in my gun. Hope this helps.

YMMV,

Monte

The 185 Berger VLD will give you a significant edge over the sierra past 800 yards. Use Hodgdon 4350 for extraordinary velocity and accuracy. I suspect you will wind up with a slightly compressed load, and not feel the need to share your load data with any of your competitors!
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.