.308 / Berger VLD's of differing weights

Re: .308 / Berger VLD's of differning weights

You will have no problem getting the 190's to stabilize even at 308 velocities. The 210 really needs a bit more like 11x.

The Berger VLD's in a 308 will limit your range with the 308 since the starting velocity is low and the expansion requirments are high.

If you need a heavy load, look to the 200 SGK. If you need a long range medium game load, look to the 168-178 AMAX.

Wouldn't the 168 Berger have good expansion out to 6-700 yds at 2,700MV ?

Re: .308 / Berger VLD's of differning weights

Take care,
-Bryan

PS, in your shooting this morning, did the 190's group well and make nice round holes?

Bryan- The 190 VLD's are awesome. I found a pet load for IMR-4350 and the 190 VLD (now I get to do the same drill with less of faster powders) that yielded a pair of bullet holes (round ones) touching at 100 yards (the test that I was doing required only two rounds per load to identify the better charge weight for a specific powder. I realize that 2 shots does not guarantee that this is a "perfect load" however the test results were conclusive enough for me to move from powder / charge selection to seating depth adjustments).

After shooting that group I dialed the scope up a little and shot a nice 3/4" group at 200 yards. My shooting at 300 yards wasn't as good as I would like but I attribute that to poor cheek weld to the stock (parts are coming to fix that). The bullets were strung almost perfectly horizontal about an inch and a quarter either side of the center (first shot) hole. All in all I'm very pleased with the results of the test and the 190 VLD. Next test- RL-15.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.