.308 barrel length and twist rates?

csarms

I''m new at this long range stuff, so to start, I am going the cheap route and getting a factory rifle in .308 to be used at 600 to 800 yards max. I'm leaning toward the Savage 10's but have researched other rifles and have a few questions. The Savage model 10's come with 20, 24 and 26 inch barrels with 1:10 twist rates. I have noticed that other varmint/tactical .308's come with a 1:12 twist and various lengths. My questions are, 1. What twist rate is better for accuracy at longer ranges? 2. Does the 1:12 twist allow for higher velocity than the 1:10? and 3. Does the .308 gain any performance with the longer barrel lengths? Basically, I'm looking for input on the best barrel length/twist combination, I need all the help I can get!! Thanks.

The twist rate has more to do with the ability to shoot longer bullets , the 1-12 will probably not stabilize the heavier bullets like the 200gr+VLD styles , which realy isin;t a problem as the 308 realy shines with the bullets in the 155-190 class. I personaly would get a 1-10 so if you wanted to play with the heavy bullets the option is their and I think your way better off over spinning a bullet than running it on the line as it will likely have stability issues if it falls into the subsonic range

As for barrel length , in the 308 a 20" barrel will give you all the speed thats needed to shoot 175gr bullet out past 1000yds , but unless weight and the length of the barrel are gonna get in the way I say use the longest barrel available as you will gain a little bit of speed not very much with the 308 but if you decide to use the heavy 190+gr bullets the extra length will allow you to use slower powders and get the most out of the round.

The Heavy barreled remingtons are typicaly pretty accurate and you will have a good base to build on later if you choose.
the Savages will probably shoot a little bit more accurately than the Rem as their barrels are a bit better quality , and if the rifle you get is a long action it realy opens the options if you rebuild later.
In either case the 308 is a great round to start off with as their are alot of quality rounds out their in factory form if you don't reload , it has a very long barrel life , very easy to load for , don't recoil much and on and on.

I'm resurrecting this old thread to ask for some advice on twist rate for .308 rifle. I am considering .308 in either Browning XBolt or Tikka T3X - took me a while to narrow down to these 2 rifles so I'd like to stay with one of them. My preference is the X Bolt BUT it is only available in 1:12 twist rate for .308. The Tikka is 1:11.

After reading many threads/internet, it sounds like I am better off with 1:10 twist rate. I'm surprised this is not an option in xbolt or tikka.

My plan is to use this rifle for deer hunting mostly at 300 yds or less, but want the ability to shoot 500 yds. I plan to start with 150 grain ammo, but want ability to shoot up to 180 grain or so in case I use it for larger game one day. I don't reload and like to use bonded bullets like nosler accubond (150 gr), hornady interbond, etc.

Appreciate your thoughts on twist rate for .308 to shoot bonded bullets 500 yds or less.

The 1 in 12 twist will have difficulty with long VLD bullets over 155gr. The 1 in 11 will stabilize bullets up to 180 without issue in most cases. 1 in 10 may have difficulty with the 215 hybrid.

Attached is Bergers twist rate calculator. Most of the people who shoot long with the .308 win will use 175's check out the 308 win info page it has great info about bbl length and twist rate.

Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets

.308 Winchester Cartridge Guide

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I'm resurrecting this old thread to ask for some advice on twist rate for .308 rifle. I am considering .308 in either Browning XBolt or Tikka T3X - took me a while to narrow down to these 2 rifles so I'd like to stay with one of them. My preference is the X Bolt BUT it is only available in 1:12 twist rate for .308. The Tikka is 1:11.

After reading many threads/internet, it sounds like I am better off with 1:10 twist rate. I'm surprised this is not an option in xbolt or tikka.

My plan is to use this rifle for deer hunting mostly at 300 yds or less, but want the ability to shoot 500 yds. I plan to start with 150 grain ammo, but want ability to shoot up to 180 grain or so in case I use it for larger game one day. I don't reload and like to use bonded bullets like nosler accubond (150 gr), hornady interbond, etc.

Appreciate your thoughts on twist rate for .308 to shoot bonded bullets 500 yds or less.

The 10 twist and heavy bullets are really only relevant in the .308 past 600 yards. If you are going to hunt mostly inside 300 yards, and occasionally out to 500, you will be just fine with an 11 or 12 twist. The 12 twist works just fine up to 185 grains or so. Though it can, and will, stabilize heavier bullets, you will lose enough bc with the 12 twist to negate the advantages of the higher bc offerings.

For your stated uses, 11 or 12 twist will work just fine. If you were considering a heavy barrel rifle for F-class competition or the like, the 10 twist is a better choice. For hunting deer to 500 yards (or elk, for that matter) you will not be handicapped by a 12 twist. For your stated purposes, there really isn't much reason to go with a heavy bullet from a .308 case, especially if you intend to use bonded bullets. Your best performance will come from bullets in the 150 to 165 grain range.

Thanks for replies...very helpful.

One thing that has me wondering is nosler trophy grade accubond ammo states 10" twist rate needed for .308. The other ammo choices I want to use don't specify a twist rate to compare with.

Thanks for replies...very helpful.

One thing that has me wondering is nosler trophy grade accubond ammo states 10" twist rate needed for .308. The other ammo choices I want to use don't specify a twist rate to compare with.

Where does it state this? For what bullet weight?

150 grain. See below from nosler website.

308 WINCHESTER
Ballistics
Bullet Weight: 150 grain
Bullet Style: AccuBond
Part #: 60056
Count: 20
Lead Free: No
BBL Twist: 1-10"
Use: Deer & Elk Sized Game

That makes NO sense. The 150 Accubond is nowhere near long enough to require a 10 twist. If you wanted to shoot a monometal bullet, such as a 150 E-tip, an 11 twist would be better, but even that bullet doesn't need a 10 twist.

check out the Savage FCP SR in 308. 24"barrel; 1in10; suppressor /brake ready.
I haven't shot it farther but out to 300yds it is sub-MOA.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

I have a 22" bartlein #3 with a 1:11.25 twist

Shoot the Berger 168gr VLD and Hybrid

Not for 1000 yrd but great out to 600.

Need to go heavier for 1000 but I use my 6mm and 6.5's for that

the .308 is my hunting rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts