.308 AR Hunters

jda2631

I have an AR10 with a 20" barrel that I love to deer hunt with. Makes a great gun to shoot in wooded areas and anywhere where your shot will be less than 4-500 yards. When I first got the gun, the accuracy of it surprised the hell out of me, and this is with a std weight barrel and a non free float hand guard. I can get about an inch or just over an inch at 100 yards with it. I have had great success with 168gr Barnes TSX bullets with 44gr of varget. I am anxious to get some of the new nosler 168 gr etips and see how they perform, I like the 150 etips I just prefer a 168 gr bullet.

If you hunt with a .308 AR, what is your favorite hunting load?

I have an AR10 with a 20" barrel that I love to deer hunt with.

not to nitpick, but is it an AR10 or some other black rifle chambered in .308?

Some of the die hards really crack down on folks for the cross bread nomenclature. I dont really care because most folks use the term "AR" incorrectly as well.

I guess what I'm saying is ... what kinda .308 are you running (Make/model)? any reason you're content with 1"+ for your groups?

"not to nitpick, but is it an AR10 or some other black rifle chambered in .308?

Some of the die hards really crack down on folks for the cross bread nomenclature. I dont really care because most folks use the term "AR" incorrectly as well."

Yes I am aware of this, I know "AR" is a trade mark of Armalite. And AR stands for Armalite, not assault rifle like many believe. Its an armalite AR10a4 with a 20" barrel.

"any reason you're content with 1"+ for your groups?"

I'm happy because this is a strait from the factory Armalite AR10. Standard weight Armalite barrel, military grade trigger (the website says it's a 5-6lb pull), and an a2 hand guard (which does not free float the barrel). Their website guarantees 1.5-2 MOA from the factory, I am getting better results than that.

There aren't many bolt rifles that come from the factory without heavy barrels and with out free floated barrels that will shoot an 1" without any modification.

If I get a free float tube and/or a match trigger my groups should drop considerably. I just don't have the money at this time, I will do this eventually. Then further down the road if I get a good match grade, heavy barrel of some sort the groups will drop even more.

But right now it is just a stock rifle that I love to hunt with, I'm curious what people's favorite hunting loads are?

cousin shoots 175 SMK's with LC brass in his Armalite SuperSASS and did in his KAC SR25 for everything from 'yotes to bulls, cant tell ya the amount of powder (cause i only pay attention to my loads) but I know he loads Varget with 210 Gold Medal Match primers.
lots of guys hunt with the 308s though, I'm sure someone can give you some more detailed recipes.

I believe KAC develpoped the SR-25/m110 to shoot the 175gr SMK's and call the bullet the M118LR. I'm sure it's a very accurate round, but the muzzle velocity is only around 2600fps I believe, and I won't be shooting far enough to really utilize the higher ballistic coefficient. I'll try the 168's out and try to get a little higher velocity.

For practice and shorter range hunting, I've been using Remington UMC 150gr. For longer range I use Prvi Partizan Match 175gr.
SS100531.jpg

P1020126.jpg

Is that pvri partizan match 175gr bullet using the Sierra 175gr match king bullets? I'm guessing that's the bullet they are using.

I don't know for sure whether it uses the SMK bullet or not. I've read that it does as many times as I have read that it does not.

Ok, well I'm definitely gonna have to try some 175 SMK's. I haven't heard anything bad about them yet, and everybody seems to love them. Btw .30us are those noveske barrels on all your rifles??

No, they're Krieger Criterion barrels on Fulton Armory Titan FAR-308s. Seem to shoot fine, but I haven't had them on paper much.

I use Hornady TAP 168 AMAX in my 20" POF (piston AR10 type). Use Black Hills 168 AMAX also. Used the BH out of a Remington 700 LTR to drop a buck at 660 yards. DRT. Also shot a goose sized target at 730 yards.

Great accuracy/terminal effect.

-dan

Anyone tried the Amax 178? I have a GAP built DPMS w/22 in. barrel. I'm getting .5 moa at 100 yards but haven't gotten to strech it out any more than that.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts