.308 AccuBond 165 vs Sierra 168 SMK

scsims

I'm just about to begin loading up some loads for my new Remington 700P .308

I was wanting to know which bullet would be the best choice for targets out to 500 yards. First and foremost I want the most accurate load possible. I plan on using Varget powder and possibly Lapua brass and Winchester primers.

Secondly if the smks are the choice for the most accurate will they work for hunting whitetails out to 300 or 400 yards?

The Accubonds are great but not quite as accurate as the Match King
because of the thinner jacket on the MK.

There are a lot of great hunting bullets and in some rifles/pistols
they may shoot as well but as a rule the match grade bullets
will out perform hunting bullets and for the same weight have a
better BC.

J E CUSTOM

Well, this may not help, but I'll venture out from my quiet corner...

I just finished developing loads for a Remington 700 STS (very similar to the "P") in .308. I found the SMKs to be stellar, well under .5 MOA out to my 300 yard range. Mind you, I'm not physically capable of shooting better than that at that range, not with a light rifle.

But the lighter Accubonds were not far behind, well under 1 MOA. But the180 gr Accubonds were pushing down to below .5 MOA, even though it was the end of the shooting day for me (I can't shoot even .308's more than 50-60 rounds anymore, before my accuracy tanks).

I know you didnt ask about the 168 berger vlds, but they would be my choice for accuracy and performance on game.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts