.308" Accelerator Sabots?

bowhunthard88

Did anyone here ever use the .308" accelerator sabots from E. Aurthur Brown Co.? Just wondering what kind of accuracy can be expected (I just bought some), and also what powder you are using and how much. I will be loading for a .30-06 and a .308 Win. I'm using the 55gr. V-Max as the saboted bullet.

They recommend IMR 3031 for the .30-06, but I was wondering if anyone has substituted another powder, as I don't have any 3031. I was gonna try working up a load with IMR 4064.

Also any hints, tips, or tricks you could add would be appreciated.

I've used accelerators in the past, in a few different rifles… the factory ones from Remington. First there not overly accurate and never fire those sabots in rifles with muzzle brakes or flash hider… What they will do is; light a fire under the bullet. Go with a fast burning powder.

Dont have any load data for you, but Ive used the factory Rem ammo in 30-30, and 30-06. Talk about a riot! Accuracy was not good with the 30-06, but the 30-30 was a whole different thing. Loaded one at a time in my model 94AE, i was shooting sticks off logs at about 300ish yds. No critters to shoot at, and we were plinkin with our 22's that day, so it seemed like the right time to test em out. One thing I noticed was even a squirl fart would blow them way off course.
How did you even find them to load? I thought they were illegal on account of ''Fuzzy Bears'' werent too impressed with a vest penetrator and no rifeling marks to boot. Heck if theyre still made I may join you in loading some up FOR VARMINTS:)

I used to shoot a remington Model 788 with the .308 accelerators. I got unbelieveable accuracy from them.
I was shooting an 18.5" barrel, and would consistantly hit a life sized crow target 2 in the head, 3 in the body every time.
I must have killed 100 crows with that round at ranges out to 300 yards.

I dont know any load data, but I bet someone does. Keep searching the internet for recipies, and sooner or later you will have a good one.

Practice makes perfect.
Good luck.

sabot06.gif

I found this right on thier website. I used the search function on the top right hand section of the home page, and just put in the word "Sabots".
Hope this helps.

I would start off with the 85% load, at 4,000 feet per second since that is the velocity the 308 accellerator is advertised as a factory round.

I would start with that load, and go from there.

As far as I know they're perfectly legal lol. Someone else bought them for me to load, because they can't find factory accelerators in stock anywhere. Also, I live in NJ and .308 bullets over 100 gr. are illegal to woodchuck hunt with (did you ever try the Hornady 100 gr. SJ? If you can find them that is. The bullet is almost round, talk about bad accuracy. I figure the accelerators have to be at least AS accurate lol).

I have their load data manual, just was wondering about different powders. My buddy gets a hair under an inch @ 100 yds. (3-shot groups) with his 30-06, I figure I should be able to do better handloading them.

Here's the link to buy them lol: Accelerator(R) Type Sabots for .30 Caliber Cartridges

Like any other hand load, it wi.l depend on what YOUR gun likes.
I think 4,000 feet per second is fast enough, 85% case capacity is a good amount of powder, and trhey list the OAL and seating depth numbers right on the reloading data on thier website.

Its just going to be trial and error.

If the factory ammo didnt shoot well for you, then maybe the 4,000 feet per second wont be a good benchmark to start the loading process at, but it is all I can think of as a definite safe starting point.

Good luck man.

I used to shoot a remington Model 788 with the .308 accelerators. I got unbelieveable accuracy from them.
I was shooting an 18.5" barrel, and would consistantly hit a life sized crow target 2 in the head, 3 in the body every time.
I must have killed 100 crows with that round at ranges out to 300 yards.

I dont know any load data, but I bet someone does. Keep searching the internet for recipies, and sooner or later you will have a good one.

Practice makes perfect.
Good luck.
Perfect practice does not make perfect. " PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT" Michell Ragsdale said, top shooter for PSE.

Recent Posts