.308 175gr SMK C.O.L

adam330

In sierras manual it list the col at 2.800. I decided to make my own overall length gauge by using my lee neck sizing die to neck size the case so it is just barely tight enough to hold the bullet. So i inserted a bullet into the case and placed it in my rifle i closed the bolt fully and carefully opened it open and pulled the case, this should have forced the bullet into the lands giving me my max over all length correct? When i took a measurement it gave me 2.880, does this seem long to anyone else? 8 hundreths longer than the books max c.o.l??? Im kinda new to this whole thing and im just looking for some for experienced reloaders advice, to see if this is correct or not.

thanks in advance
Adam

2.880 is only .80 over the SAMMI spec.so your chambe is OK.and the way you checked it was a good idea,but an old idea.so you should be good at that length.or you can seat them a little lower.but still OK.

your measurement is normal. I seat the 175gr SMK 0.070" jump to lands for superb accuracy. If you did so, then you would have a COL of 2.810". If you use the 178gr AMAX however, it gives best accuracy with a reduced jump of .015 to 0.030".

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.