308 168gr A-Max?

Brown Dog

It's getting too expensive this side of the pond to plink with NBTs; so I'm thinking of finding a plinking priced bullet that'll do double duty for deer.

My rifle loves 165NBT, 167 Scenar and 168SMK. As I said, the NBTs are too pricey for plinking, the Scenars are too tough for game....and, despite the conversations here, I can't bring myself to use SMKs on game.

Anyone have any views on the 168 A-Max in this role?

(and does my rifles accuracy with 165NBT, 167 Scenar and 168SMK imply success with 168 A-Max....or, for those who may have trodden this path before, is it a 'quirky' bullet?)

Thanks!

Matt

[ QUOTE ]

My rifle loves 165NBT, 167 Scenar and 168SMK. As I said, the NBTs are too pricey for plinking, the Scenars are too tough for game....and, despite the conversations here, I can't bring myself to use SMKs on game.

Thanks!

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you willing to use an A-Max,but not a SMK aren't they both match bullets with the A-Max's being more fragile? What am I missing here?
confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What am I missing here?

[/ QUOTE ]
The polycarbonate tip! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

...I know the arguments are well rehearsed, and I don't want to re-start them here, but I can't get past my personal concern that SMKs won't expand...and therefore I'm not prepared to try them on game (my personal choice and not an attempt to judge others /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).........I suspect that the tip on the A-max will perform the same function as the NBT's tip.

You mention A-max fragility...in comparison to what? Grateful for any more on that, particularly if you can compare them to NBT performance.

The AMAX is supposedly lighter constructed then the NBT's, therefor expansion is greater and more rapid...

I"ve got a load with the 162g amax in my 7 RM going 2900fps and I shot a water jug last night at 100 yards just to see what would happen, I'm impressed to say the least, it tore the jug in half, threw one half 10 yards and the water was vaporized. I'm going to try them on deer this year. Others have used them with great results on deer size game.

Matt,
We started killing deer a few years ago with AMAX and they have not failed, from fairly close shots to 800+ from our .308's. Don't forget there are three, the 155, 168 and 178 grain versions. I have killed several deer with the 155's also, dead on the spot. Have not killed anything with the 178's. I tend to use them in the .300 Mag even tho they are virtually the same weight as the Matchking in 175 gr. that we shoot so much.
Accuracy is superb in several different .308 rifles that several guys I know shoot a lot.

The A-Max is repidly becoming my favorite bullet. I use the 155gr 168 and 178gr in .30cal and 162gr in 7mm. These bullets have proven to be very accurate and I just love the way they flatten a Whitetail.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What am I missing here?

[/ QUOTE ]
The polycarbonate tip! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

...I know the arguments are well rehearsed, and I don't want to re-start them here, but I can't get past my personal concern that SMKs won't expand...and therefore I'm not prepared to try them on game (my personal choice and not an attempt to judge others /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).........I suspect that the tip on the A-max will perform the same function as the NBT's tip.

You mention A-max fragility...in comparison to what? Grateful for any more on that, particularly if you can compare them to NBT performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

First let me say that I have never killed a head of game with an Amax or SMK.I am only going by what I have been told by those that have.I have hunted with friends that used the SMK's and seen game killed with SMK's and they definately expanded judging by the size of the wound channel
The Ballistic tips were more fragile than the original solid base with the lead tip exposed (which is the same bullet without the tip) and my experience with these lead me to believe that any tipped bullet will be more fragile than the same bullet without a tip.........
thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Many thanks. I bought 100 x 168gr today...I'll give them a go.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Amax doen't pan out for you then give the 175 SMK's a whirl,I think that you will be pleased with thier performance on Deer.........
thumb.gif

Matt:

The amax has worked great for me in 7 rm (162), 6,5 x 55 and 6,5-284 ( 140).-I think it is a fine "hunting" bullet as long as you are not shooting heavy game.

Roedeer: perfect.-
stags: ....would try not to hit a heavy bone at close range.

Here´s some 140 ´s recovered from shots at goats at some 200yds:

P1010439.jpg

P1010371.jpg
P1010367.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.