.300wsm with 125's

tbrown9124

I'm looking into building a 300wsm to shoot 125gr bullets more than likely accubonds. Heres my issue I havent a clue as to what rate of twist i'd need. I was thinking 1-12. Just curious if anyone has played with this combo? I'm looking at building my win 70 with a 26"bbl and maybe 5r rifling. Again just curious as to what people have played with here.

A 12 should work. Only going by JBM. QL says ~3500fps in a 26".

Kinda an odd concept. What is the reasoning behind the idea?

Hydrostatic shock.... I have all the long range guns I always wanted. I recently shot a 30-378 weatherby improved shooting 125's around 4200fps. I shot a deer with it at around 400yards and lets just say the kill was impressive. I was thinking with a little less velocityand a yardage limit of 300 it could have the same results with my wsm. I've seen load data in the books that suggest i can get it to run over 3600fps.

The other advantage of your screaming bullet speed would be to just pull up rifle and shoot. I have a 6mm-284 shooting 55 gr ballistic tips at 4178 fps and any coyote out to 350 yds just aim and shoot.

If the 125 is all you intend to shoot you could slow down the twist to help maximize velocity.

Very true thats the other advantage, I was ruuning some numbers and 1-14 may be a more appropriate rate of twist.

I'm guessing you could run prolly like an 20 if they made it. I know the 30 br guys are running 17s and there no where close to that velocity

Very true thats the other advantage, I was ruuning some numbers and 1-14 may be a more appropriate rate of twist.
If it were me, stick to 12. In case, what happened in California happens where you are. A Barnes TTSX 130 would be close to your 125 AB.

I'm still debating the barrel, I'm also debating 4,5 or 6 groove tight or standard bore.........

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.