300wsm Savage Barrel?

mconwa951

Hey guys i have a savage 300 wsm long range hunter that i cant get to shoot real well. With hand loads it is still around 1.5 moa. I have sent it to a smith in WY to see if he could help out and sounds like what it comes down to is the barrel. He tried everything he could with helping to make a handload and bedding it also and no luck.

I am considering a shilen replacement barrel and trying it myself for it. I would like to stick to the 300wsm since i have tons of brass and bullets laying around. I am thinking of a 24 or 26 in barrel. Also gonna have a brake from Nate at straight shot on it.

Question is for all you 300wsm guys is what barrel lenght do you like for the wsm. This will be primaraly a open country deer elk and antelope gun so weight isnt the biggest issue. I would like to shoot the 210 bergers but will shoot anything that flies true.

Thoughts?

I currently am running a 30" 1:10 twist Benchmark on my 300wsm. I don't have a lot to share as of yet. I pretty much have just done barrel break in and a little load development as of now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.