300WSM / RL19 / Barnes Tipped TSX 180 gr.

davewilson -

no offence intended. I querried the BC hoping to gain additional info on the 180 gr bullet and load That would still provide pointer information. You know as well as I do that certain powder / bullet / caliber combinations have sweet spots rather than the whole loading range suggested by either bullet or powder companies. Just look at Varget and the 308 or 223. Or visit 6mmBR and review their load maps. There are central tendies for certain combinations. It's a good place to be aware of when developing a load for a particular rifle.

William
Those are starting points. Such is any recommended load. You will have to do your own homework no matter how many people tell you what to load. Every gun is different.

WilliamB, I understand what you're saying. i don't have or have never loaded for a WSM so i can't give any recommendations. i have a friend that set a world record with one but to my knowledge, only shoots bullets in the 210 range. good luck, hope you find a one hole load.

GlennRMX & DaveWilson -

I appreciate your posts. I will let you know how my loading ladder goes. It will obviously encompass a wide range of R19 possibles. I will initially step through the Barne's recommended loading in .5 increments. It's a shame that the 6mmbr.com 300wsm compendium is not completed. Here is what they are trying to do and may be of interest to some. It's located at:

300 WSM--Need Your Data for Cartridge Guide -

They already have some information there.

"We're starting on a new Cartridge Guide--this one for the 300WSM and 7WSM. If you've seen any of our previous Cartridge Guides, you'll know we try to make them the definitive resource on the web for that particular chambering. It's a format that has been very popular with readers--our .308 Guide has received 195,000 pageviews.

Creating a new Cartridge Guide is a big job--it can easily involve 100+ man-hours of work. So we need your help. Also having proven load data from real shooters benefits everyone who eventually reads the article.

For the 300WSM guide we need shooter input regarding:

1. Favorite Accuracy Loads
2. Favorite Hunting Loads
(for #1 & #2 we need powder, charge weight, bullet, primer, brass mfg., velocity, seating depth or OAL, recommended twist, and one or two sentences commenting about the load. Include your barrel type and twist rate if possible.)

3. Recommended Bullets.
Because the 300WSM caliber is used both for long-range target use and hunting at all distances, we need to cover a wide selection of bullets. We're especially interested in comparisons among the High-BC match bullets, and learning about the real-world performance of hunting bullets of various weights/construction.

4. Reloading Tips.
If you have developed any special loading practices that work real well with the 300WSM or 7mm WSM, let us know. We will also cover the 270WSM necked up to 7mm, as this is used by many long-range shooters. We are very interested in knowing what kind of brass prep you've found to work best, both with Winchester and Norma brass.

5. Die and Tool Recommendations.
We've heard some good things about custom dies from Hornady and Warner Tool, and the Lee Collet dies work well for some guys. Let us know your die preferences and what sizing methods work best.

6. Brass.
We want to hear your experiences using both Winchester and Norma Brass.

7. Gun of the Week.
We're looking for a 300 WSM long-range target rifle to feature."

Good shooting -

William

Last edited:
I just got my 300WSM custom rifle and am shooting the W Elite stuff - steel casings...

I mic'd them tonight and noticed 10 mils increase in diam on the larger portion of the shell. 5 mils on the neck'd down portion...and the necks are distorted...

So I'm shopping for reload equipment...

Any advice on what I should buy,,,what to expect...what powder to use...

I'm told that I probably want to be shooting a 168g bullet...but have had nice luck with the 150g store bought loads (1" grouping after 80 rounds of breakin...)

Any advice is appreciated..

I should mention my 300WSM rifle is a shilan 26" barrel, lawton blueprinted bolt, AI chassis, nice muzzle brake...

Shoots like a dream, but I need to do the reload myself to afford to shoot it...I've got 80 rounds through it...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts