300wsm not sure

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by saskhunter, Nov 5, 2009.

1. saskhunter

saskhunter Member

hey there. im new to this site and havent gone to the depths of all the pages to see if my question might be answered so i am sorry if this might be a repeat question. here it goes, I have a 300wsm in rem. 700 sps stainless that i want to build a lrh rifle out of. i would like to have a detachable mag but not sure on what bullet to use. i would like to use 190 bergers but afraid they might be to long overall to fit in a mag. the other idea i had was necking down to a 7wsm. would that fit better in a mag. ill be hunting mostly elk and mule deer with this rifle. if you know of any other good bullets out there that will work i am all ears. this is the deciding point on whether i build with this caliber or buy another and start with it. thx all for reading

2. britz

britz Well-Known Member

Not sure how much length you will gain by going to the 7 wsm? If you don't get many replies here you might want to repost in the gunsmithing section.

3. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

I sometimes shoot 210 Bergers out of my WSM. When I seat them to the lands only about 2/3rds of the bearing surface of the bullet (between the neck and ogive) catches the neck. I dont think that I would be able to load 190 Bergers to the lands in my rilfe very well which is a Sako. The SPS *may* be different? You will have the same issue with the 7mmWSM and long skinny bullets.

I like the 300 WSM becuase it has a little more thump than the 7WSM. They both have about the same trajectory and range. You will get a lot more barrel life out of the 300 WSM.

If you want to load to the lands in a short action, you need an after market mag box. Another option is to get a long action and have it barreled and chambered to the WSM.

Hope that helps,

Mark

4. hammertyme

hammertyme Well-Known Member

Using similar weight bullets the 7's are a longer bullet. That length, increases in length as one goes up in bullet weight over the 30 cal.

I would stay with the 300WSM for reasons already mentioned. Plus, there are some really fine hunting bullets out there these days that have very competetive BC's.

Just another opinion

Neal