300WSM in a 20" barrel ??

James Jones

300WSM in a 20\" barrel ??

I'm sitting here with a Short action Rem and a realy nice light weight stock contiplating what caliber it needs to be.
I was wondering what sort of velocity could be expected from a 300 WSM out of a 20" barrel with say 180gr bullets.
Also how severe would the muzsel blast be on an animal of this sort.

I'm thinking about a short light weight deer/elk gun for shooting out to 400yds

I've seen a Ruger with 16" barrel and liked the way it handled but not to sure about 16" of barrel with that much powder.

Anybody out their shoot a shorter barreled 300WSM

Re: 300WSM in a 20\" barrel ??

I am shooting a 22" 300 RSAUM. Yes the muzzle blast is significant. Shooting 180 gr Nosler Partition factory ammo, I was getting 2997 fps. The same load in a 26" barrel netted 3200 fps. Back to the short barrel, I went with 150s because inside of 350 yards, my max visible range, they give me the best trajectories. I only give up an inch and a little in wind inside of 350 as well. I would suspect you can get 2950 with some max loads. They may not shoot the best, but that will probably be where you top out. I have visited with a guy shooting a Ti actioned 300 WSM shooting 180 gr NBTs, but his accuracy load was 2880 fps. He was shooting just under the listed max in the Nosler manual, and it was a max load in his rifle. His rifle had a 20 or 22" barrel on it too. Hope this helps.

Re: 300WSM in a 20\" barrel ??

if i had a 22" saum i think i'd try the 150 triple shock barnes.you'd have the same killin power of that 180 and it would work better in that short setup.

i'm in the process of building a short "handable" long range carry gun.will be under 42" with a 30" barrel and muzzle brake.hope to be shooting it by sept.it's a little different,i'll post pix if it works out.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.