300WSM HEAVY BULLETS{200-240}FOR TARGET

ED BEGG

HELLO GENTS this is my first post -any way -IAM interested in hearing from anyone that has shot this caliber with heavier bullets? what sort of velocity?what twist barrel?how accurate what type of reamer etc IAM contemplating a project and could use some advice too make sure Igo the right way

thank you.
ED.

ED

Welcome to Long Range Hunting!

Ian just did some testing with the 300 WSM, I don't believe he fired anything that heavy but he may know someone who has.

The rifle we did the test with was a short action Rem. M700 but I expect that long, heavy bullets would require a long action and appropriate throat or the bullets would be pretty deep into the case.
Don't know of anyone who has shot heavy bullets in the .300 WSM to date.

HELLO and THANKYOU DAVE@IAN, gents let me tell you about my progect and if there is any glareing problems you can maybe give me a heads up -ruger#1 action ss.32"mic barrel{local builder} 1.25"-1/10twst ss,the barrell@ action will be sleaved to support weight of barrel and replace the forearm the rear laminated stock will be fit with an adj cheekand 3way but assy,I ordered a match spec reamer from DAVE KIFF at pacific percision Ihave a throater already -the fact that the ruger is a single shot falling block oal of the case isnt going to be a problem and as IAN says the throat will have be set up so as to have a 240mk's boattail start at the neck shoulder datum so as to save case capacity for powder-hopefully I can obtain vellocities with accuracey around 2800"or better , now let me state right up front this is what I would like to happen weather it is cappable is the question-and the reason i ask more experienced shooters for their oppinions and sage wisdom . ultimately the idea was to see weather the 300wsm could compete against a 6.5-284{142}/6.5-O6{142}/6MMBR{107} all loaded to the potential of my guns I compete in Fclass competions{B.C CHAMP}and going thru the process of picking the calliber I will shoot in the upcomeing world chamoinships-now i know there are plenty of boomer cartriges out ther that can surpass the ballistics of the callibers i have mentioned but there are also certain constraints that limit there use for instance NO muzzel brakes,22# weight limit with scope and front rest a safety template on the range -nothing bigger then 8mm or faster then 3000"{double checking those figures} plus you have to be able to take the recoil for aprox 45/60 shots per day for three days {not includeing practice prior to the macth}the world champs will be shot in ottawa next august and will be fired at 700.800.900 meters 900 being shot twice with 20 shots on score each time with time limits at all ranges if there is another cartridge i should look at please let me know

thank you
ED.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts