300wsm barrel length ?

Makaira

Looking at a lightweight rifle that has a 21 inch barrell and wondering what the advantages( other than light) and disadvantages are?The rifle has a 1/2 inch guarantee and will be used mostly out west for deer and elk.Thanks

You will lose some velocity with the short barrel, but unless you hunt at very long range it probably will not make a great deal of difference.

I have a Winchester Model 70 with a 24 inch barrel, and I bought a Ruger Mark II with a 22 inch barrel to use for elk hunting in Wy. When I shot the very same factory load in these two rifle I found that I did not lose a great deal of velocity. This is what I found.

Federal Factory Load 300 WSM, 180 grain solid base Nosler bullet.

Average 3 shots 3055 ft/sec with the 24 inch barrel. 3017 ft/sec with the 22 inch barrel. I know that this would not be true for all guns but it will help you see that you may not lose as much as you might think.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.