300WSM and Berger Bullets

Does anyone have any favorite loads for .300 WSM loading 168 to 190 grain Berger Hunting VLDs?
Need more info on what manufacture 300wsm you have.
Tikka or Rem have longer throat than win which started out with 0 freebore.
Good load with 168 berger VLD hunt in a tikka or Rem 700 is 71.5gr - 72.5 gr Ramshot hunter seated .020 off the lands. this load has been accurate and safe in a number of rifles.The tikka with short barrel yields around 3175-3200fps

My Savage did not like the 168 bergers at all. The 175 and 190's shoot well using R-17 and R-19. Send an e-mail to Berger asking them for data for whichever of there bullets you are using.

The gun is a Ruger M77 Mark II. I have had good groups with 168 gr Berger's and RL 22. I am trying to work up an elk load with the 190s. I did contact Berger and they emailed some load data to me. I just wanted to know if anyone had a pet load. I mostly shoot .243 and .270 and Berger's do great.
FYI - the email I got said that 2010 was the year they will have their reloading manual done.

I can not say about the bergers in the wsm but steadyrest1 one mentioned tikka's have a long throat which at least in my rifle is not the case as my tikka t3 wsm has 0 freebore.

I have a couple of loads that I have shot out of my two 300WSM's. First in my Winchester Model 70 Coyote with a 24 inch barrel I have worked up loads using RL-17 and 168 Berger VLD bullets. With 67.5 grains of RL-17 I got an average velocity of 3128 ft/sec.. I did shoot 68 grains but the velocity did not change much and the accuracy was not as good.

I have a Ruger Mark II in 300 WSM and in that gun I have worked up a load using N550 powder (62.5 grains) which is a middle load using 168 VLD bullets. I have not chronographed this load, but with Barnes 168 grain TTSX bullets I have gotten just under 3000ft/sec. using the same load.

I'm shooting a Savage BVSS in 300WSM , 26" , 1:10 twist factory barrel.

My best load for 185 Berger's

62.7 Grains H4350 ( work your way up !)
Winchester Brass
Winchester Large rifle primers
185 grain Berger match

I seat 60 thou. off . Seating depth will make a huge difference.

Mike

My sons 300WSM shoots the Berger 175 VLD at 2865 fps using IMR 4007 59.1 gr Fed GM 215 M Norma brass. It consistently shoots groups in .338 range out of a factory Browning A Bolt 23" barrel. I had a load worked up with IMR 4350 that shot about the same but the recoil was absolutly herendous. Any ideas on why 4007 would be more recoil freindly?

Team Roper , I'm not familiar with IMR4007SSC but given the same rifle, brass,primer and bullet I'd guess that your at a higher velocity node with the IMR4350 . Did you chrono the two loads ?
IMR4007SSC is listed as a somewhat faster burning powder than either H4350 or IMR 4350.

I don't have a recoil issue with my load but the rifle is heavy at around 12 pounds ready to hunt.

Mike

Yes I chronoed both loads. They were almost identical. I am at work so I dont have my notes to give you exact figures. Yes a 12# gun with help absorb some recoil. I have not weighed his gun but I would guess 8#.

Does anyone have any favorite loads for .300 WSM loading 168 to 190 grain Berger Hunting VLDs?
Well, so far I like my 63.5 gn of h4350 with vld hunting 168. Seated to over all of 2.896 overall. Would a been longer but won't feed out of my clip any longer. That's out of a sako85 finlight.

I noticed a couple of you guys mentioned primers and there seem to be of the standard large rifle variety as opposed to magnum primers. Did you guys test out magnum primers and find that the standard primers gave better results?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.