300wsm + 208gr= dead P-dog

dk17hmr

I shot this one at 189 yards (cold bore) with my 300 WSM and a 208gr A-Max at 2635fps. I still havent worked out my MOA yet so when it stood up I put the cross hairs just under his chin.

Bulletmolds063.jpg

My 204 Ruger blows them up and spreads parts everywhere, the WSM made parts disappear. There was about a 2" wound channel and what was there must be in the next county because it wasnt anywhere around it.

First blood for the 300 WSM.

Sweet rig and good shooting. I use the same combo on my g-hog rifle. I am getting 2913 avg. with 61.5grns H4350. What is your load and why the low speed? You just not wanting to push it? What are your ES and SD?

Tank

I am still learning all the small details of LR hunting and shooting. I have been shooting long range for a while but obviously didnt know anything until I started reading on this site. ES? SD?

I am using 64gr of H4831SC with Remingotn 9 1/2 primers in RP cases, seated just off that lands. I have an 8 pounder of this powder that is when I am using it. I might have to give other powders a try for more speed, but I am be getting a 300 RUM next week in trade so I might just use that for speed. Because the load I am flinging out of the WSM right now goes into tight groups.

I am still learning all the small details of LR hunting and shooting. I have been shooting long range for a while but obviously didnt know anything until I started reading on this site. ES? SD?

I am using 64gr of H4831SC with Remingotn 9 1/2 primers in RP cases, seated just off that lands. I have an 8 pounder of this powder that is when I am using it. I might have to give other powders a try for more speed, but I am be getting a 300 RUM next week in trade so I might just use that for speed. Because the load I am flinging out of the WSM right now goes into tight groups.

Sounds like a good reason to me. Speed isn't necessary unless you want to kill something big way out there. ES and SD are numbers used to verify if you have a good load shooting consistently. ES= Extreme Spread- The speed between your fastest and lowest shot tested. 2600 as a low and 2635 as a high means you have and Extreme Spread or ES of 35fps. This number if it is to big of a difference would need to be tightened up in order to shoot accurately past 300 to 400 yards. At extreme range a slow round could mean a low shot or a fast round could mean a high and a miss with either or wounding. You won't see the spread at short range unless you are in the 50 to 100 fps range of variance.

SD or Standard Deviation is the measurement of the average between a shot based off of the average known velocity. If your average speed for 5 shots fired equals 2635fps, then you take that number and subtract it from each shot fired known actual velocity. Just for practical purposes:

1. 2630- (avg.)2635= 5fps
2. 2620- 2635=15fps
3. 2634-2635=1fps
4. 2627-2635=8fps
5. 2640-2635=5fps
Total 34/5(total shots fired in string)=6.8fps

Now these number obviously are random and they are based off of your velocity given in your post. So your Standard Deviation or SD is 6.8fps from shot to shot on average. In this example your High is 2640 and your Low is 2620 with an extreme spread or ES of 20fps. Hope this helps. The smaller your SD and ES are, the more likely you are able to hit stuff at extreme range. My number equate to ES=11fps and SD=3fps. Those are the numbers you want to achieve. If you can get them smaller, that is what you really want. This can be done by playing with powders, primers, and charge weights. The more in the case doesn't always equal tighter numbers. Hope this helps! Keep shooting and let us know how the RUM works out.

Tank

Last edited:
That did help, thank you!

I dont have a Chrono here in Wyoming, its still in Michigan at my dads house. Last time I was at the range an older shooter had his set up and they were testing loads. I talked him into letting me fire 3 rounds through it...from my notes.

1. 2631
2. 2637
3. 2633

Average is actually about 2634. Still its pretty tight in velocity for 3 rounds. I would like to get it up a bit around 2850 but if the RUM trade works out I will use that for the 208's and just use 168gr A-Max in the WSM, which shoot a bit better than the 208's in my rifle.

That did help, thank you!

I dont have a Chrono here in Wyoming, its still in Michigan at my dads house. Last time I was at the range an older shooter had his set up and they were testing loads. I talked him into letting me fire 3 rounds through it...from my notes.

1. 2631
2. 2637
3. 2633

Average is actually about 2634. Still its pretty tight in velocity for 3 rounds. I would like to get it up a bit around 2850 but if the RUM trade works out I will use that for the 208's and just use 168gr A-Max in the WSM, which shoot a bit better than the 208's in my rifle.

Your welcome. I like teaching things. Yeah you will gain a ton in velocity. You will also burn barrels quickly. A barrel life span on a RUM is about 800 to 1000rnds. If you can afford to do so, I would keep the 300WSM around for practice.

Tank

I like the 300 WSM to much to get rid of it light recoil good useable bullet selection and just a great rifle in general. 800-1000 rounds than rebarrel to 338 Edge......perfect!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.