300WSM 200gr Accubond controversy ??

NorthernSniper

I noticed a while back on another BB a bit of a reloading controversy with the 300WSM and 200gr bullets but didn't have time to read through the thread. Any problems with using 200gr Accubonds in a 300WSM? I have used the 200gr Accubond in a Tikka T3 300WSM with W760 the only problem I had was the most accurate load was 2825-2850 fps which I felt was a little slow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No problem with the 200 gr bullets in the 300WSM. Depending on your maximum length (I'm not sure about the Tikka), your only problem could be case capacity. Tests have shown that using up case capacity by seating deep isn't the huge problem some folks think. I would seat out to max length of your magazine and/or off the lands for your rifle and proceed forward. Two powders you might try are Western Hunter or Vit N560. The Vit is the powder Nosler uses for all theit accuracy testing in the 300WSM. We can't get the lot of W760 that the factory uses, so it is not the fastest velocities possible. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks wapiti! maybe the issue is compressing the powder. What is the problem with compressing the powder? I have compressed the powder plenty of times with no apparent problems, or is the concern maybe it is dangerous to compress powder. I have heard it crunch lots of times when pressing in the bullet on the press.

I have compressed powder quite often as well with no problems. If you crush to much you may see an increase in the burn rate. I don't know if you could actually accomplish this. It takes quite a bit of pressure to actually crush a grain of powder.

FWIW, The two loads my 270 shoots the best is 65 gr of MagPro and 64 gr of H1000 under a 130 NBT. I have to use a 2 ft drop tube just to get the powder to fit in the case. The bullets are seated so that the boat tail to the base of the neck. They are very compressed loads, but they are the best by far in my rifle. I just finished using the FinalFinish product in the rifle, but I couldn't get pics of the targets just yet. When I can, I will post the whole process for the masses to pick-over and poke holes in it. I will soon be using the same FF products in a 708 and 7RM.

I had asked the same question with the 300 SAUM,the response from the moderator was using 200 gr bullets in these short mags takes up to much powder space and defeats the purpose.I mentioned having the chamber throated to this size bullet and was reminded that it would effectively become a single shot (which I dont mind) because of the magazine length restriction.Im just interested in playing around with the short mag to see how it performs in a sendero based gun.Anyone else done any long range with any of the short mags?

I have used 200gr Accubonds with several different powders in my sons 300WSM with a cartridge OAL less than the max length listed in some cases a lot less than max. So far I have seen no bad affects, the 200gr Accubond presses in with a little bit of a crunch other than that no big deal. I don't see why this would be dangerous or see anything negative about compressing the powder somewhat?

I am shooting 175 SMKs and 185 gr Berger VLDs in my 300 RSAUM Sendero. They work fine. So far, the 175s have gone into 1.4" at 500m and the 185s have gone into 1.5" at 300m. I have not shot the Bergers more than a dozen times. Still playing with the load. FWIW, 190 SMKs work, but the 175s are flatter and shoot tighter groups day in day out in my rifle.

sewwhat89, are you shooting the sendero in its stock form?
Also,when you shot the 190 SMKs do you recall the overall cartridge length? I dont have my sendero yet,what is the approx magazine length? Would you forsee a problem shooting 190-200gr pills without seating into the cartridge body if the chamber was cut for these bullets? Thanks in advance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ballistic64, Just off the top of my head I beleive the OAL for the magazine is 2.860". I have loaded and shot 200gr Accubonds using a variety of powders all less than the 2,860" max listed by most sources. I heard grumblings about using 200gr bullets in the 300WSM but at that time I had no interest in this so it went in one ear and out the other. Just wondering what the issues are especialy on the safety side of things, so far the only concern has been that the bullet will intrude to far into the case and prevent a full charge. So far I have never run into any problem I know of so I think I will go 200gr Accubond when my Sako Finnlite arrives. I have come to the conclusion that the 200gr bullet is best for 400yd + shots (more wind resistant more energy when it gets there). I have been thinking about going 180gr Accubond but I feel that I would loose more than I would gain, what do you guys think? or is this opening a can of worms regarding best bullet best weight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.