300wsm 185 berger load data needed

wyogunner

Trying to work up a load for my .300 WSM: full custom w/ 26" heavy sporter (1:10 twist). I have a box of 185gr Berger hunting VLD's. Need some powder recommendations and load data. I am on a compressed time-frame and can't wait for the Berger loading manual to get to me off Backorder. I have several powders and can run down and get any others that are needed. Any help would be appreciated!!!

I have never had time to play with this gun or caliber much. All I have heard is that .300 WSM is tough to find a load for and the same goes for my previous choice of bullet. Barnes TSX's (168gr and 180gr) were lobbing out with the accuracy of a Tim Tebow pass (was too embarrased to show those groups to anyone)! I am looking for a Tom Brady pass with this gun! I love the effectivness of that bullet on meat, but I am out of time and patience with TSX's. This is my going to be my long distance gun (and pretty much my sole elk rifle). I will not use it at distance, until it has a sub-MOA load.

I have found loads on here off of Google searches, and I know you guys know your stuff!

I have had good success using IMR-7828 with 185 grain Bergers. My best load was 68.1 grains, in Norma cases, and WLRM primers. This is a hot load and should be worked up. It produced a velocity just short of 3000 ft/sec out of a 24 inch barrel. I have also used N165 with good results shooting 190 Bergers.

I have not found the 300WSM hard to load. I own two 300WSM's and have loaded for a friends all have shot well without a lot of fuss.

I have used RL-17 and N550 with 168 TSX bullets for hunting accuracy and a velocity of around 3000 ft/sec.

With 185 bergers in a 300WSM I would start with 62 grains of H4350 and a magnum primer and work my way up. I figure somewhere around 63.5-64.5 you will find a sweet spot that it will want to shoot at. I love H4350 for the short mag it is super consistant and easy to work with. If you want speed it's not a bad choice but RL17 with definantly out perform it I just haven't found the consistancy with it that I like.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.