300WSM @ 1250 yards

Discussion in 'Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)' started by dragman, May 19, 2014.

1. dragman

dragman Well-Known Member

Got the 300wsm out long this weekend. shooting the 215 hybrids @ 3030fps. I used the chrono speed to get close on the white board in the picture. Then hit the Yellow ball I have hanging 2 out of 3 shots. That ball is 6" so I am very with it as the 3rd shot didn't look very far off.
    This load is one of those funny ones that doesn't shoot that great @ 100 yards only around .3 for group, but stabilizes around 200 and does great from there on out. I don't have a place to get too 1760 really want to see what it can do at that distance.

Attached Files:

2. Browninglover1

Browninglover1 Well-Known Member

You have to give rifle specs... Just saying

3. dragman

10" model L bat action right bolt right port
    Bat 20MOA rail
    Jewel trigger with bottom safety about 3 ounces
    30" Broughton 10 twist 1.350-1"
    Master-class thumbhole stock (with lots of clear coat)
    Nightforce rings
    Sightron 10-50X60LRTD with Vortec level.

I recently switched this gun from shooting 190's. they out shoot the 215's @ 100 but I wanted something that would give me a little more snot out long.

4. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Hey Dragman, what powder you running with the 215's? Thanks.

5. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

Keep bragging about your groups at that range and some of the Pennsylvania bench rest shooters will jump on you! :rolleyes:

That is a sweet looking rig and some very nice shooting. Can you get shots on game out that far where you live?

6. dragman

I am running RL17 in it.

I know them bench rest guys and yes they get all emotional about groups lol. I am a bench rest guy at heart too, but the paper just doesn't do it for me. I shoot ridgway VBR it's a steel shoot with 40 targets it's much more my speed.

Yes, on the properties I hunt I can get 1405 as an absolute max right now and that is hard gotta be just the right setup. 1300 and under is the normal for targets and I just cant seem to get those groundhogs to get out where it's real far. only one hog so far this year 871 yards.

7. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

I have been looking for a load recipe for the same bullet and powder as you are using, but have been unable to. Do you mind sharing your load recipe?

8. dragman

PM'd

9. BigBboy25

BigBboy25 Well-Known Member

Is this rifle a steel/paper rifle or do you hunt with it? I refuse to use Alliant powders in anything after the experience I had with their product AND their people.

Also, what BC are you using? G1 or G7, and has it been accurate for you? I run the same bullet with the G7 and it has been spot on out to 1,460 yards?

10. dragman

Steel target and ground hogs. I just sold the rifle to my friend though he just loved it so much I had too. I use the g7 it was close but not perfect.