.300wm factory seating question

Rem700addict

Well I just got back from a dissapointing day at the farm shooting. I was seeking to gather some load info from some reloads that I made up and instead became more baffeled. I'm shooing a .300wm Rem 700 sps with Boyd's stock, 20 moa rail, weaver rings and 6x18 Buckmaster scope with adjustable turrets. Right now my load consists of Rem brass, Winchester LRM primers, H1000 powder, and Hornady 180grn BTSP Interlock bullets. Try not to be to harsh on me but i'm new to reloading, i've been sizing my cases with Lee dies, most of my cases have been shot twice so I try not to full length size them, they fit the chamber real well, no sticking or any other problems. That being said, I made up a dummy round and chambered it then took my calipers and measured the overall COAL and came up with 3.46, I then made up some rounds in .5grn increments from 72grns-79grns and seated the bullet to a COAL of 3.39, I know it was deep and i'm not sure why I tried that number, but I took these to the range and did the latter test at 100yrds and found my powder node at 76.5-77.5grns. So I went home and loaded up some rounds in .2grn increments in that node range, but I changed my COAL to 3.50 thinking that i've read most people seat them out as far as possible. Well I went to the range and shot today backing it up to 200yrds instead of 100 and I do know my shooting overall today was poor as far as form and such, but my bullets were going everywhere, I was rather imbarrassed at my shooting. With all that said, I know I wasn't on my A game at shooting today, but I know I shot better then the results, I meant it looked like a shotgun pattern, could it be that the bullet being seated that far out was one of the causes? What do you guys usually seat the bullets at in your factory .300wm's? I definitley have a lot of practice to do, but I also took my .243win and warmed up with it first and was shooting under and inch at 200yrds with that gun, so i'm not a terrible shot, but I need work. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Justin

Justin, i"m curious as why when you measured your coal & got your reading then you seated your bullet's very deep into the land's. Please be very careful , i'm surprised that your pressure never spiked(crater's in primer's, marks on casings,ETC... Please be very careful , Do you have a reloading Manuel? If you dont you really should get one & read it. As far as reloading the 300wm.
Factory spec is 3.340" you should seat your bullet's to that spec and start a min load and work up to max. When you find the most accurate load , then play with seating depth, ALWAYS watch for over pressuring your your rifle. I myself seat nosler 180 AB .020 from land's & Berger's .010 from land's. There are alot of very knowledgeable re-loader's on this site that will help you out also i'm sure.

Please be safe...remington

Justin, i"m curious as why when you measured your coal & got your reading then you seated your bullet's very deep into the land's. Please be very careful , i'm surprised that your pressure never spiked(crater's in primer's, marks on casings,ETC... Please be very careful , Do you have a reloading Manuel? If you dont you really should get one & read it. As far as reloading the 300wm.
Factory spec is 3.340" you should seat your bullet's to that spec and start a min load and work up to max. When you find the most accurate load , then play with seating depth, ALWAYS watch for over pressuring your your rifle. I myself seat nosler 180 AB .020 from land's & Berger's .010 from land's. There are alot of very knowledgeable re-loader's on this site that will help you out also i'm sure.

Please be safe...remington
If your coal is 3.46 then try seating 3.43 not 3.50 son this is putting your o-give of the bullet deep in side your land's. I wish i could write and explain more but my wife is out and i got the little one's ripping apart the house right now.. I will send you some loading info later.. I repeat Please be Careful..

If your coal is 3.46 then try seating 3.43 not 3.50 son this is putting your o-give of the bullet deep in side your land's. I wish i could write and explain more but my wife is out and i got the little one's ripping apart the house right now.. I will send you some loading info later.. I repeat Please be Careful..

Sorry for the confusion, I actually meant 3.45 instead of 3.50 for the COAL, .010 off the lands, my family and little ones were rushing me a little so I didn't get to re-read it. Thanks for the reply and concern remington01. That would be some bad medicine, I try and look at each cartridge after I shoot it or pressure signs, and my Lee reloading data says I can go up to 80grns max with the H1000 and 180grn bullet. I have heard some guys say that their factory Rems shot well with .030 jump from the lands. Also "latter" is suppose to be "ladder", sorry again for the miss info.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.