300WM/Berger 210/H1000 Reloading Issue

I agree with GREYGHOSTt. Your case problem is a headspace setting problem. This is common with Encores and Contenders. We used to set up Contenders by sizing the case just enough to get the action to close. You should feel a little resistance when closing it. We now have dial indicator gauges to measure the headspace. Remember, every frame will give a different headspace reading so use the same frame/barrel combination. Once the die is properly set you should eleminate vertical group stringing and get longer case life.

Tom

Berger .338 cal yet?

SES,

I can provide some assistance but for the best help I recommend that you contact Walt Berger directly at [email protected]. Walt is the best person to provide you with assistance even if it is not related to the bullet.

Regarding the various loads listed in the manuals, we are putting our manual together right now and have been doing considerable research on the subject of loading data. We have learned that no two manuals are alike because different lots within a particular type of powder will vary considerably. In fact, powders can change places on the burn rate chart due to this inconsistency.

You may have a lot that is hotter than those tested when the manuals were created. If this is the case in your situation then you can see why loading manuals will tend to list loads that are conservative.

It is possible that something else is causing your situation which is why I am suggesting you get Walt involved.

Regards,
Eric Stecker
Berger Bullets

Eric, Are the .338 cal Bergers coming out yet?

I agree with GREYGHOSTt. Your case problem is a headspace setting problem. This is common with Encores and Contenders. We used to set up Contenders by sizing the case just enough to get the action to close. You should feel a little resistance when closing it. We now have dial indicator gauges to measure the headspace. Remember, every frame will give a different headspace reading so use the same frame/barrel combination. Once the die is properly set you should eleminate vertical group stringing and get longer case life.

Tom

Good advice........case head seperation is a sign of excess head space...
thumb.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.