300wm & 200gr Accubonds...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by longgunshooter, Aug 14, 2006.

1. longgunshooter

longgunshooter Well-Known Member

....finally got out over the weekend to try some accubonds and was pleasantly surprised to see the same results as many of you have expierenced /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

Gun is a 300wm Rem700 Sendero w/a 25" barrel. Leupy 6.5X20LR. nothin fancy, had the action/lugs lapped and brake installed a while back nothing else....oh, i skim bedded it a month ago...

I shot six different groups at 100yds. Three with IMR 4831,70gr,71gr,72gr, and three with R-22,69gr,70gr,71gr. The best results being with 72gr of IMR (.545 three shots) and 71gr R-22 (.520three shots). The R-22 group was a perfect vertical string (barrel heating i guess) and the IMR was purty little cloverleaf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. didnt have a chrony for the fps but pressure signs are minimal(minor primer flattening/no cratering/no ejector marks)

...even out shot the guy next to me w/a 6mmBR... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifanyways...

heres my question for some of you...what load do i go with to hunt deer this october?

i have heard about R-22's sensitivity to temp but exactly how bad is it?? what about the IMR 4831 is it temp sensitive too.

I have loaded up ten of each of these two loads to run across a chrony this weekend to see which is the most consistent, but i would like to ear more about each of these powders and which is more temp stable... preferrably from expierenc, not what the mfr says /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks in advance for the input...

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Re: 300mw & 200gr Accubonds...

WE have a 270 Win shooting stiff loads of RL-22 accuracy is great. Velocity drops off as temp goes down sine would say a bunch (100 FPS or so) from summer when loads were worked up.

Accuracy does not change. A couple of clicks up from summer to winter does the trick. Deer to 500 yds (so far) haven't noticed the difference.

A suggestion regarding your RL-22 group. If pressure signs were minimal, go up at least a half grain or maybe a full grain depending on your comfortability. Then shoot another 3 shot group and see if the group switches to horizonal from the vertical string.

If it switch to - from | then drop back half of what you increased and you should get a nice little o. Its been working for me.....

Keep us posted on your velocity checks. Thanks

3. 30-06 boy

30-06 boy Well-Known Member

longshooter;where were you seating your bullets?out to rifling?,standard loading data oal?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

longgun
    I shoot 71 grs of Re 22 under the 200gr Accubond, this load was developed when temps were in the 30s/40s and shoots in the .4-.75 range at about 2930 fps. I have shot the same load some when the temps were in he upper 70s to lower 80s, didn't have the chrony but I did notice the groups were a little larger .75- 1". Can't say for sure it was a temp. sensitivity thing, could have been mirage, but point of impact stayed the same.

5. chain

chain Well-Known Member

My .300 win loves 180 or 200 Accubonds with H-1000. I have never tried them with RL 22 or IMR 4831

6. longgunshooter

i had them seated .020 off...

7. longgunshooter

never have tryed H-1000...

all i have ever shot has been R-22 or IMR4831. just here recently have i gotten into the larger for caliber weight bullets. i used to shoot 165 BT's religiously(around .7/.9 groups)...but i really like the groups this thing has been spitting with these 200AB's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. longgunshooter

[ QUOTE ]
    longgun
    I shoot 71 grs of Re 22 under the 200gr Accubond, this load was developed when temps were in the 30s/40s and shoots in the .4-.75 range at about 2930 fps. I have shot the same load some when the temps were in he upper 70s to lower 80s, didn't have the chrony but I did notice the groups were a little larger .75- 1". Can't say for sure it was a temp. sensitivity thing, could have been mirage, but point of impact stayed the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

seemed like the faster i pushed these things the better they printed. both loads did the same thing. first pair of groups were about 1 1/2, second were a tad over an inch then they just shrank. with a slight overall edge to the R-22.

wonder what they would have done if i had that extra inch or so of tube...

9. longgunshooter

well its been awhile but i thought id post some fps numbers on this load.

71gr R-22/200AB. 2650fps av....slow or is it just me?

10. duckinalaska

duckinalaska Well-Known Member

longgun,
    You might want to try 82 grains of retumbo. I was getting 3030 fps out of this load. I was shooting good groups out of this load also. Retumbo is pretty good about being non temp sensative.

11. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

longgun
    That does seem slow, I'm shooting the same load in win. brass with fed 215 primers at 2920 out of a 26" barrel.

12. longgunshooter

i tested the same loads yesterday. just had to verify that the new cases were not the culprit of the sluggishness... same result (R-22) 71gr 2600's,72gr high 2700's low 2800's, 73gr low 2900's. POI shifted some but accy stayed the same.

maybe just a slow lot of R-22. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif