.300win to .300rum

Boman

I asked this question on the gunsmithing forum with no answers.

I'm wondering what it takes to turn a rifle chambered in .300win to a .300ultra? As far as I can tell they both use the same twist in barrels and both use magnum sized actions. So my guess is other than getting it reamed to the new cartridge you'd need to open up the magazine and do some work with the feed rails? Please help with what needs to be done and what am I looking at for price.

Question is if you had a .300win mag that shot great would you make the change? I've got a few .300win's and want something different.

Boman

If I had only one good shooting 300 win mag I probably would'nt
rechamber to a 300 RUM. "BUT" If I had more than one YES!!

With the RUM you pick up 250 ft/sec and 700ft/lbs with a 180 gr
bullet over the 300Win Mag.and a lot better trajectory.

And all you have to do is rechamber, and if it's in a Remingtion action
everthing else will work .

Nuff Said
J E CUSTOM

Boman,

If /when you do the conversion do yourself a favor and add a Wyatt's extended window box mag and move the feed rails accordingly. This will also require you to shorten the bolt stop.

What length of barrel do you have on the 300 WM? Most (not all) have 24". I would think you would need a minimum of 26" to make it worthwhile. Just thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks everyone, I didn't think it would be this easy. I do have a few more questions though.

Can I add a Wyatt's extended window box mag with actions other than Remington?

Barrel length is 26" which I figure would work for now, when it's shot out I'd go with a new custom barrel anyways.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts