.300Win.Mag.Converision

Jim Hundley

Fiftydriver,
My rifle is a Win.Md.70 CRF post '64 chambered in .300 Win.mag.The barrel is a 25 3/8" Hart ss with a minimum SAMMI chamber-.3395 neck with .10"leade.How much trouble would this set up be to convert to the .300 Jarrett or similar long magnum action caliber.Is this feasible or would it be "smarter" to keep the rifle as is and build a new one.The only problem would be finding a long magnum action for a doner.What are your thoughts?Thanks in advance!
Jimmy

Jimmy,

The push feed Win M70 is a fine action to build an extreme accuracy rifle on. Better then the pre-64 in my opinion for accuracy potential and if set up correctly, will run with the Rem 700s in accuracy.

Problem is that I believe your Win M70 is the same length action as the 7mm Rem Mag version which is set up for a case of 2.5" in length or an overall length in the 3.350" range.

I do not like modifying the M70 for the longer mag box needed for the Jarrett. YOu woudl be better off to get a true magnum length M70 but you will be looking at a pretty high price for an action that is in good shape as they are generally in the +$500 range for teh lesser quality and up to $800 for the good ones.

I would recommend keeping the rifle you have and using it as is or trading it off on another receiver, I would recommend a Rem 700 and building on it for the Jarrett. If you use the Rem 700, any receiver chambered for an '06 and up will work for such a rifle. The magnum receivers would be easier as there is no bold mods needed but they are all the same length and even a new Rem 700 receiver would be cheaper then a used Win M70 magnum length receiver.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thank you Kirby.This was what I was thinking(down deep).Just wanted anothers opinion.Does the .300Jarrett "really" offer anything more in the way of performance than what we already have in readily available factory rounds?Here where I live you ain't nothin if you don't shoot the .300 Jarrett.I kind of doubt it.What are your thoughts?
Thanks very much!
Jimmy

Jimmy,

Appearently you live near Jarretts shop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

The 300 Jarrett is a fine round and Kenny was certainly a pioneer in long range hunting rifles but in my personal opionio, any round from the 300 WSM up to the 300 RUM will offer the same accuracy potential as the 300 Jarrett as long as the rifles are built correctly with quality dimensioned throats and the ammunition is good quality.

At extreme range, the difference between a 300 WSM and a 300 RUM are really not that extreme and the Jarrett lands right in the middle, well perhaps a bit closer to the RUM end of the performance spectrum.

As far as ballsitic numbers go, the Jarrett is a twin to the 300 Wby and 300 Dakota rounds, nothing more, nothing less. Great performance levels but nothing earth shattering compared to a host of other fine rounds.

What set teh Jarretts apart is the fine rifles, again, any caliber will be very accurate in a quality rifle, I feel anyway.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Jimmy,

I believe that the 300Jarrett is formed from a blown out 8mm Rem mag case. In that no quality brass is available for the 8mm Rem mag, I would consider a different chambering for a new custom rifle.

Why put all that money into a custom rig if high quality brass is not available. Doesn't seem logical to me.

Just my 2 cents - VH

I live in Arlington,TX.Not to far from the shop of another smith that touts the caliber!Thanks for your opinion!My .300 Win mag. is a 1/2" or less shooter when I can drive it right.Think I'll stick with it.I really appreciate your thoughts.
Jimmy

Jimmy,

With your 300 Win shooting that well, I would stick with it as well. Have fun and shoot as much as you can. Your 300 Win will serve you well.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.