300Win in a 40X.??

Jake in NC

.. Has anyone tried this before.?? I have a line on a nice 300Win 40X in a McMillan stock at a decent price but I thought all 40X's were short actions.. How well does this work.?? This isn't the first time I've heard of someone doing this.. Thanks.. JiNC

Jake
40x is short action and i wouldnt waste my money. Been there done that and the one i had wouldnt shoot groups with anything but half loads.
Good Shooting
Tomahawk #1

Jake, if you can get a good price on the 40-X go for it. A 40-X is a gun that comes from the Remington custom shop. They also come in long and or magnum actions. The action is trued and the barrel is a quality button rifled unit that will shoot pretty good. Possibly great. They are bedded and come with a well adjusted, read light and crisp, trigger. If it doesn't have a shot out barrel it's worth at least $800.00. I own two 40-Xs, both 220 Swifts, and they both shoot better than .5". The 300 Win Mag comes from the factory with two groups shot in succession that have to be 1" or better average. Most shoot much better than that.Buy it man. Then shoot and enjoy it.

I'd say pass on the 40X, and get a Sendero instead.

I'd lusted after a 40XB-KS in .220 Swift since I was about 13. At 26 or so, I was in a position to get one NIB at a gunshow. The gun shot well (0.40-0.45" groups) w/ factory ammo, and sadly, not really any better w/ handloads. The barrel is a better grade than what normally gets screwed on your normal VS or Sendero. The actions are normally clip-slotted. The stock isn't just fiberglass, it's Kevlar. ****** hard to work w/ as far as reshaping or inletting for bedding, pillars, extending LOP, etc. They also have a blind magazine, ala Rem ADL style, which is **** annoying to me. I don't believe the actions are trued to any significant degree, rather I think they use a more select set of criteria for the 40X vs the 700.

Basically, in my mind, they are like a Corvette. Yes, they will work, really well in fact. But for the $$$ you tie up in what is essentially still a hopped up factory rig, vs. an all out custom job, you could be well on your way to a true custom rig. Of course, the same argument is made against any custom rifle built off a Remington action; I just feel the 40X represents an exceptionally poor value in terms of accuracy for $$$ spent, when compared to many 700VS, Senderos, and even Savage 12/112BTs.

YMMV,

Monte

Hey guys.. Thanks for the input.. I've recieved a little bit more info on the rifle and thought I'd post it here to see if this changed anything..
.. It's a 40X short action, which makes me assume that the boltface has been opened up.? It has a Hart/Lilja barrel about 26" long with a custom muzzle brake installed.. The stock is an early McMillan BR model.. It comes with what looks like tapered bases and Kelbly rings supporting a Leupold 6.5-20x50 scope that has had some dots installed in it by Premier.. It also comes with a full set of Wilson dies and a carrying case.. He's s'posed to get back to me tonight on the twist rate and barrel maker...
.. Does that change the deal at all.?? The short action thing worries me a little.. JiNC

[ 03-18-2003: Message edited by: Jake in NC ]

Unless things have changed recently, all 40X's are based on Short Actions. The Magnums are Single Shots and since there's no magazine to fit in, they're all built on Short Actions (shorter = less flex in theory). It's easy to single load even a 300 Win through the SA port. While it's possible the rifle you're considering started out with a .473 boltface and was opened up to a Magnum Face, it's probably more likely that it came from the factory like that.

Repeaters will be clip slotted (for 308 and more recently 223) but are still...yep you guess it...Short Action.

Jake

I would think that if it has custom barrel, the front of rcvr has been trued, lugs lapped etc. This makes its potential for accuracy higher than a stock sendaro.

For a carry LR gun it should be much better than a equally priced sendaro. Price is the key here after.

Figure out the value of the dies and scope and see if the gun is worth the asking price. Also what does the borescope show on barrel condition.

BH

.. I've about decided to pass on this deal.. Nothing wrong with it I just have another project I oughtta finish first and I need some other goodies right now.. If anyone is interested in this rifle Mike can be reached at this addy..
[email protected]
.. Selling price on the whole package is $1500.. Which sounds like a decent deal to me given the amount of goodies included with it.. He also has a coupla custom 6mmAI's for sale.. Thanks for your input.. d:^) JiNC

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.