300RUM vs. 300WinMag

Yeah, those are dead on. So there's your answer BigUglyMan of why people would burn so much more powder--because you have to in order to get those velocities. If you aren't needing to pound your bolt open with a hammer after each shot, I'd suggest trying a different chronograph. Maybe your co-worker with the slow 300 RUM would let you shoot over his? :)

This all assumes, of course, your aren't using a 38" barrel or something.

I'll be trying another chrony this weekend. That said, I doubt that the particular chrony would have suddenly decided to lie when it was truthful about the 270 I shot before and the 308 I shot after.

I had a 300RUM loaded 95grs of Retumbo behind 200 gr Nosler accubond. Yes 3200 FPS at sea level . Shot a medium size Black bear at 80 yds . That dang Bear need three solid hits in the boiler room before he fell out of the tree. Butcher said I had a lot of destroyed meat. I could of done the same with a 30-06 0r 308 ,270. That rifle was very accurate,it was braked and sounded like an Atom bomb. I'm vote thumbs down.I traded it for a Cooper Mod 22 in 22-250 AI. I'm happy.

I got my first 300 winchester in 1968. Since then I have loaded for who knows how many of them. They will max out with best accuracy with a 200 grain bullet in the 2900's. I have been loading for and shooting the 300 ultramag since before remington got them out to the dealers in the 90's. I have several accuracy loads with the ultramag just under and over 3200 fps with a 200 grain bullet. Both are very accurate rounds. Generally speaking the winchester can be shot accurately without a brake and the ultramag can not.

I'll be trying another chrony this weekend. That said, I doubt that the particular chrony would have suddenly decided to lie when it was truthful about the 270 I shot before and the 308 I shot after.

Let us know what you figure out. But don't be surprised or too disappointed if you find out your 300 Win Mag is shooting a bit slower than you thought. Doesn't mean it's not a good cartridge out to 900 yds, but if your's will keep pace with the 300 RUM shooting equal weight bullets out of equal length barrels then your 300 WinMag would be a good reason to "never say never". Yet I'm comfortable saying "No Way" in this case. Check out some reloading manuals. None of them will come close to the velocities you claim with those bullet weights.

Set one of your 300 WinMag cartridges next to a 300 RUM. The maximum resultant velocities should be a foregone conclusion. The 300 RUM case is what my 300 WinMag cases would look like if I pushed them to the velocities you're claiming, and I doubt the case heads would still be attached.

I knew this going into my rifle build, and I built the 300 WinMag anyhow, but I needed a carry rifle weighing no more than 9 1/2 lbs completely scoped and outfitted/loaded. I pack in and pack out for most of my hunting.

Last edited:
Well I was out to the "range" today with some test loads. Not using the Partitions again, so the comparison isn't the same. In the end I was getting between 2800 and 2950 using 210 Bergers and Gm215Ms. I used RL22, IMR7828, IMR 4831, IMR 4350 and H4831. It's a bit faster than what Berger quotes, but it has a longer barrel. These are also loaded longer since I installed a 3.8" box. The suspect loads were loaded when I still had the short mag box.

I'm happy with those speeds. I'll try some 200 and 180 gr Partitions as well to see what they do now that I'm home and using my own chrony.

Let us know what you figure out. But don't be surprised or too disappointed if you find out your 300 Win Mag is shooting a bit slower than you thought. Doesn't mean it's not a good cartridge out to 900 yds, but if your's will keep pace with the 300 RUM shooting equal weight bullets out of equal length barrels then your 300 WinMag would be a good reason to "never say never". Yet I'm comfortable saying "No Way" in this case. Check out some reloading manuals. None of them will come close to the velocities you claim with those bullet weights.

Set one of your 300 WinMag cartridges next to a 300 RUM. The maximum resultant velocities should be a foregone conclusion. The 300 RUM case is what my 300 WinMag cases would look like if I pushed them to the velocities you're claiming, and I doubt the case heads would still be attached.

I realize that my internet-penis isn't very big on this forum and certainly not as big as yours, but that's more a function of know-it-alls such as yourself acting like you're God's gift to shooting than a lack of knowledge on my part. Sure, there could be problems with the first Chrony I used, or even a slight overload on the 180 load. I'm well aware of the velocities in the loading manuals. I also don't need to set a 300 WM case next to a 300 RUM case to know that the RUM is bigger, holds more powder and will drive equal weight bullets faster. There's no reason to act like a pompas ***.

Well I didn't mean to hurt your feelings and launch WWIII. Sounds like you really had it under control all along and preferred no one respond to your post. And the next fella that tried to achieve your velocities and didn't have a defective chronograph?

Just aim a little higher - you'll be OK Big Ugly Man.

Last edited:
Who built your rifle Big Ugly Man? I know a smith around my town who claims very high fps out of various calibres. Wonder if he built yours.

Who built your rifle Big Ugly Man? I know a smith around my town who claims very high fps out of various calibres. Wonder if he built yours.

Alberta Tactical Rifle is the shop, Rick Timmins the builder.

I should apologize, I was a tad cranky yesterday. I appreciate the suggestions and am sorry I didn't respond with a little more gratitude. I was suspect of the velocities when I first shot them, but as all seemed normal at the time, I shrugged it off. The idea of the chrony being off didn't enter my mind, though it is the logical first suspect. Or the scale, or the guy at the trickler. Still, no excuse for getting all huffy.

So back to the thread...I'd still build a 300WM, even at the speeds I am getting with the new chrony!

That is what I thought. He's getting very high velocities out of his shorter barreled .308's with the heavy bullets as well, isn't he?

Yup. High enough that he doesn't post them for people to decry him as a liar, braggart or incompetent. Not sure the barrel length of the 308s in question, but I know there were 5 or 6 of them built last year for the BCRA match. Using 178s I thought. It's about time for my monthly call to see what he's up to.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts