300RUM Loads

I'm shooting a stock Remmy Sendaro 300rum, I say stock I had Kirby put a brake on and I also put a Rifle Basics trigger on her but the reciever and barrel are factory.

The location that I am at is low in altitude 165 above sea level in the Trinity river bottom shooting across a 650 acre cotton field. The humidity level can go from 85-100 and temps from low 80's in the morning to 100's by midday with no breeze and the humidity can be as Lerch says (hotter than Satan's crouch).

I don't have my book with me but of my memory I started at 90gr. of RL-25 in the 3020's and went up in .5gr. increments. I remember the temp was about 70 and climbing. I got to 93.5 at 3160's then backed it down to 93.3. This load was with the Fed215's REM. cases 93.3gr. of RL-25 and a 210 BergerVLD at 3150's. It shot a ragged hole at 300yds and 1-1.5 at 500yds.

I Was off mowing the roads in the woods or something, anyhow I was not close to the barn when my partner Mikie spotted some hogs and took a shot at them without any ear muffs on. When I returned to the barn he was in big time pain. He said the he forgot to get the ear muffs and said what the hay and touched one off at some hogs. His eyes still watering and ears deaf he said that the concussion was so great that he just knew that his nose was bleeding. Then he said what the hell I had loaded in the beast and I told him. He said you better back off a little on that load as he showed me the spent casing. I told him that I was not getting any kind of pressures like that earlier with that exact same load. So I cranked a round thru the chrony and got a whopping 3395 out of the same load I was geeting ealier at 3150. The temp differance was about 20 degrees.

All I could think about is my partner holding his hands over his blinded eyes bloody face and no-one to care of him with the closet Hospital an hour away. It scared the hell out me to say the least.

In my location with the ever changing weather I will not use it. It's just to much of a pile of powder in my face to play with knowing how radical the temps and humidity affect RL-25.

Now H-1000, I have not seen this pressure problem with and that's why it has my vote and will continue to use it.

Have a good safe day!!!
Tim

hello
i am new to reloading and am getting ready to do my first loads tonight
300rum
remington brass
180g tripleshocks
retumbo powder
fed 215 primers
barnes is saying to startout at about 84 and work my way up to 93.
we will see how it turns out.
i called barnes they said they used to recomend a hotter charge.
we will see how it goes
has anyone else worked up this load ?

I use RL-25 at 92gr. which hits 3150fps. over my screens. Case length is 3.7 with Fed.215 match primers. The cases have been
match prepped(My tests say it matters).It shoots 5shot-
.40 groups(100yd) thru my custom 700.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.