300g, .338 cal Berger VLD status update please...Eric, Brian...?

jmden

Any updates on this bullet guys?

Last time I called Berger, the gal that answered the phone said this month that things would get going.

Thank you.

Jon

Called Berger yesterday. Sounds like they are working on getting the machinery set up for the 300g VLD with hopes to have the 'bugs' worked out sometime in December. Man...what a wait. Sure hope this thing does what we want it to do...

So much for having them by deer season...

what is the expected price on these? I hope not much more than $.5 each in bulk.

I wasn't expecting them this year, so I got a few more 300g SMK's to tie me over untill summer or so. Hopefully they'll be out by summer tho so we can test them and have them by next years hunting season.

Id definately make the switch providing they are more accurate, have a better BC, and aren't much if anymore in price then the 300g SMK.

Would like to see Hornady come out with a 300g AMAX. That would be nice with the plastic tip.

I"ve continued stocking up on 300 and 350 SMKs. If Berger doesn't get the lead out I won't need 'em.......

I've given up all hope on an heavy for caliber VLD in .277.

I"ve continued stocking up on 300 and 350 SMKs. If Berger doesn't get the lead out I won't need 'em.......

Wildcat Bullets told me that if they can ever get on top of the demand for the 7mm 200 gr. bullets, the next one they would manufacturer would be the 277 169.5 gr. bullet. How long that might be is anyone's guess. Wildcat is still swamped with orders for the 7mm 200 gr. but I was told they are moving to a larger facility and will be hiring additional production workers at that time to increase production. I wasn't given a time frame for the move. Hopefully, sooner than later.

I talked to Hornady at the NRA show in Phoenix this summer and they told me they had no plans on coming out with a .338 AMAX. I was kind of suprised, but they were happy with their match bullet. Maybe if enough people contacted them about it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Wildcat Bullets told me that if they can ever get on top of the demand for the 7mm 200 gr. bullets, the next one they would manufacturer would be the 277 169.5 gr. bullet. How long that might be is anyone's guess. Wildcat is still swamped with orders for the 7mm 200 gr. but I was told they are moving to a larger facility and will be hiring additional production workers at that time to increase production. I wasn't given a time frame for the move. Hopefully, sooner than later.

Yep! they are moving to a larger facility. Good news since they are only a few months old. I worked with Paul on some .277 designs. My rifle is a good test bed for the bullets as it is a 3 groove 8 twist Allen Mag. I figure if a bullet will shot in this barrel at AM velocities, it will shot in any barrel configuration.

The current 169.5 design is working exceptionally well in the 270 WSM class cartridge. Good velocity and bug holes.

Wildcat is pressing forward on expanding their offerings. From seeing first hand what goes into bullet making for several calibers Wildcat is respected for they're efforts.

I just bought a box of 500 300 grain SMK's from Holland's Shooters Supply.
That Box of 500 is pretty heavy:D
I already had a 150 of 300 grain SMK's, so I am good for awhile too.

I long ago stopped getting excited about any new 338 bullets. There have been two years of nothing but rumors. I gave up long ago, ordered in 5K of the 300 gr SMK that are in the vault and forgot about looking for greener grass.

Roy, are they working in your 270 AM now? Even with a warm barrell?

Yep! they are moving to a larger facility. Good news since they are only a few months old. I worked with Paul on some .277 designs. My rifle is a good test bed for the bullets as it is a 3 groove 8 twist Allen Mag. I figure if a bullet will shot in this barrel at AM velocities, it will shot in any barrel configuration.

The current 169.5 design is working exceptionally well in the 270 WSM class cartridge. Good velocity and bug holes.

Wildcat is pressing forward on expanding their offerings. From seeing first hand what goes into bullet making for several calibers Wildcat is respected for they're efforts.

Not ever in a cold barrel. One variation we tried showed that things are very nearly there but not quite.

Not being one to accept whatever comes my way, I'm seriously into developing a jacket that will work in 'my' barrel.

Corbin makes dual inside diameter jackets. But when reduced to .277 from 30 Cal I think that 'something' happens.

I'm bumming time on every lathe in town to get the final configuration and talking with PTG about a reamer/drill to produce the inside dimensions that are needed.

However, that will take some time as once accuracy is achieved then terminal performance will need to be verified. (There won't be a safe lama, burro, or jersey cow in the county:))

Once all of this gets worked out, then Wildcat will make the bullets.

Additionally Paul @ Wildcat is working on some stuff. I expect some samples as soon as those that are HOARDING 7mm stuff get their bellies full.:D

I long ago stopped getting excited about any new 338 bullets. There have been two years of nothing but rumors. I gave up long ago, ordered in 5K of the 300 gr SMK that are in the vault and forgot about looking for greener grass.

That's kinda how I feel about the .25's. I keep hoping someone will see the potential of a heavier, more appropriate weighted, high BC bullet but I fear I am loosing sleep for nothing!

I'm with Fiftydriver on this one. Sitting on a good supply of 300gr SMK and not interested in the Berger 300gr anytime soon. I will let someone else toy with them, and I will continue to shoot the 300gr SMK, which is a proven bullet for anything I would want to do with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts