3000 yards

even +2600 yards is out of the range of 90% of all long range rifles being used today. Has nothing to do with equipment, just simple physics is all, can not get around that.

So what about the Barrett 416, and 408 Chytec. They show on national T.V. cold bore hits at 2000 or 2500 yards. Are these calibers capable of these ranges with the their hybrid bullets (lathe turned) and case size? Just kind of curious as to if anyone has ever tried such a feet with any of these calibers.

Tank

yes i was wonder about the 416 barrett to also it comes with a 32" barrel 3250 fps 395 grain pill. do you think you would gain much velocity with a 36" barrell ?also i notcied that us optics sn-9 has optional 80mm objective and overall length is 27" which is a really big optic would this be good for Et ranges >?

Liltank,

2000 yards, CERTAINLY with either, no problem at all, 2500 yards, 416 Barrett easily, 408 CT, really dependant on bullet BC and what velocity your using. I would say possible but at its outer limits for sure with what I have seen as far as its bullets BC and its velocity potential.

These however are not what I would classify as conventional weapons. By that comment I was referring to rifles chambered in rounds such as the Lapua class and big Wby or Rigby class rifles. Its when I hear guys saying that they are shooting 2700 yards with their 300 RUM rifles or something similiar that red flags start flying all over.

The two you list are certainly 2500 yard rifles under the right conditions and with the right ammo and projos.

My experience here pretty much matches Kirby's as far as results go. With a standard 338 Edge @ 2800 fps shooting at our conditions hitting 1 moa targets you would not want to bet against out to 1900, go to 2000 yards and I wouldn't bet I could hit my truck. Shooting my 338 AM @ 3300 fps made 2K very doable, we did not have the opportunity to shoot beyond 2000 for a number of reasons. I feel that as soon as you get close to subsonic velocity the game is officially over.

I spoke to Dale Polding at Elite Iron Suppressors in MT about the 416 B round and he told me that he shot a 21" group at a little over 3000 yards with his custom accurized EDM Windrunner in 416 Barrett using I think the Lehigh turned solids. I think also it may have been a 5- 10 shot group too ! Now thats some shooting hey !

DUH

It all boils down to 3 things:

1. a very accurate rifle, min .3moa @ 100yds
2. A high muzzle velocity, anywhere north of 3200fps is ideal.
3. A very high BC projectile, north of 1.0 is ideal.

If you have all these things you can shoot consistently beyond 3000yds.
More effort is needed bringing ultra high BC projectiles to market. I've embarked on a quest of my own to develop some better bullets using a combination of modern technology and new ideas to improve stability. There is no historical research to use so I must simply shoot them and see if the ideas work...

i which someone would take the anzio 20mmx102mm - vulcan lathe turne a solid vld bullet 1600 grains or more i know it fires a 1600 grain steel projectile at 3600 fps

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.