300 WSM

Ian M

I am also looking for suggested handloads for the .300 WSM, anyone got any good loads that they will share. Interested in 168-175 grain bullet weights, maybe go up to 180.
Thanks

The powder I have settled on is N550 ingnited by a Federal 210M primer, in Norma brass with a 175 MK. It shot well enough to burn the first barrel out my F class rifle with it and shooting the same load in the second barrel with excellent results. IMR 4350 works well with 150 to 155 gr. bullets, as does IMR 4064 with the 155 gr. bullets. Another powder that performs well across a wide range of bullet weights is H4350 EXT. Several 1000 yard shooters have had very good results with it using 210 gr. bullets. It also works very well with the 125 gr. bullets if anyone is interested in that. I have also heard of some good results with RL-19.

From my testing and results in long range matches the standard primers give better results than the magnum primers. You might want to try them.

Hope this has helped some.

RiverRat

I've seen on some other site were some think the 300wsm is just a marketing think and some have no use for the wsm other like the round. I think it's a good round and also I'm not much into comparing one against the other. I remember when the 300 win mag came out and look at the following it has now back then wouldn't of given it one year on the market. I've got two 300wsm one is a custom the other a tikka T3 lite and that rifle give 1/2" groups for three shots at 100 yds the other 5 shoot groups in the .4's. Both mine like H-4350 near max loads and the best bullets so far has been the 165 gr the custom has a 1/12 twist 5r barrel and gets wby velocity and the T3 get 3061fps with a 165 gr it has a 1/11 twist. I think a 180 gr bullet would be about max for the 300wsm just not enought case capacity for me. I looked at the rem short but just didn't see the velocity being there. I've had some good luck with R-22 and 19 tried V-165 but didn't get good velocity same with 760. I tried mag and larger rifle primers but settle on large just couldn't get a good group with mag primers both mine likes alot of bullet jump. I load at the range so have more chance than most to play around with some things like I've got one case that's been fired 10 time use wilson dies and case has never been sized only trimmed once. I've heard some good things about other powders but don't have some in our area and I'm not going to burn out a barrel just testing all the powders. I also have a 30-338,300wby and 300 ultra mag. Well good luck.

Do any of you gents have any comments,loads and opinions on this cartridge? On paper it would seem to be about the equivalent of the 300 Win mag.The shorter powder column should make for a more efficient burn resulting in more consistent pressures.Also the longer neck and lack off belt should result in better accuracy.
Please feel free to shoot me down if you disagree.
This cartridge chambered in the Winchester Stealth would seem to be an ideal budget,long range hunting rifle.
Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome.
TALLY HO.

BRIT, Ian
I'm shooting a rem action 24" Hart barrel with a .650 (crown)set in a rem mountain rifle laminate stock. 165 NBT's worked well with H4350 and wim brass. With Norma brass I'm using 180 NBT's, 65.5 grains of R22 and WLRM primer 2900 FPS holds 1" at 200 yards often around .8 R-22 has given me the best FPS with both 165 and 180's but IMR 4831 and H4350 were great powders with the 165NBT.In my rifle mag primers worked better with R-22 but standards were fine with the other powders.

I am moly coating my bullets so my loads might be useless to you, also I have not shot these enough to verify my primer choice. I still need to shoot over the chrony more while switching back and forth between WLR and WLRM. I will shoot some more +.1 and -.1 gr as well.

175 SMK moled, 64.8 gr H4350, WLR primer, Win case, COL 2.829" and touching the lands, AV 3011 ES 11 @ temp 89 deg F

180 HIB moled, 64.1 gr H4350, WLR primer, Win case, COL 2.857" and touching lands, AV 3016 ES 19 @ temp 89 deg F

Barrel length 25.1" measured from face of action to crown.

Also a load I am sure of when the barrel was a deer hair less than 26" before it was set back rechambered and recrowned:
190 SMK molyed, 68.5 gr RL 22, WLRM primer, Win case, COL 2.871" .003" into the lands, AV 2964 ES 10 @ 62 deg F

RL22 is extremely consistent from around 20 deg, about as cold as is gets here, till temps get well over 90 deg, when velocity gain per deg is 5+ FPS.

Brit,

I have the best luck from 180 NBTs over 67.5 grn of R22. My barrel is alittle fast so you might want to vary the charge alittle.

Good Luck!

Reloader

I have shot three 3-shot goups with 4350 and 180 Accubonds now with the new .300 WSM GA LITE - .407, .422, .462" - 65 gr. of 4350, WIn. Large Rifle primer, Norma brass is doing the job. Does it get any better with a sub 8 pound rifle and a scope with a two inch dot
rolleyes.gif

Kicks solid, haven't been bruised yet but it is coming.

Ian;
May I ask which 4350. Working with the same bullet and IMR 7828 isn't working with it at all. I have both on hand. Thanks.

Sorry about that, I have H-4350 for this load and it is working nicely. I did not know that you have to get a wider or shorter spout on the funnel to accomodate the wide cases, spilled a bit of powder till I got a new funnel.
Live and learn.

Thanks Ian,it sure does makes a mess till you get the right funnel. Will try your load today and see what I get. Thanks again.
smile.gif

I started out with an early batch of win. brass and and switched to Norma. With norma brass I had to back off about 2 grains or I would have been picking up the pieces. Has anyone noticed this or could it have been my lots of brass? With my rig Norma shows pressure quicker and I could not reach the hotter loads being posted with Win brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.