300 wsm

reggiedunlop

My Rem 700 shoots the .300 WIN-MAG. Why doesn't the .300 WSM fit that rifle? Obviously they are bigger but why don't bullet makers make it easy for green-horns to figure out? Like put:"this bullet is for the 'X' calibre rifle".
I asked someone who's an instructor and he said "because the wsm is bigger! No kidding!So that answer is not necessary.

Nothing about your post makes any sense.
What are you trying to find out?
About cartridge differences?
Or what 'caliber' means w/resp to bullets?

I tried to read your post and it sounds like you are getting some of your terminology mixed up.
There are cartridges and then there are bullets. Too often I hear people refer to bullets as loaded cartridges. Reads like you are doing it too.

The 300 WSM doesn't fit your 300 win mag because a the internal dimensions of the chamber of your rifle was made to fit the 300 win mag. The 300 WSM is shorter but the diameter of the case is larger. Good thing it doesn't fit your 300 win mag.

Both cartridges shoot .308" diameter bullets.

The ONLY cartridge that should be fired in a rifle is printed on the barrel.

----------------------------

300win mag :

Bullet diameter
.308 in (7.8 mm)

Neck diameter
.339 in (8.6 mm)

Shoulder diameter
.489 in (12.4 mm)

Base diameter
.513 in (13.0 mm)

Rim diameter
.532 in (13.5 mm)

Case length
2.62 in (67 mm)

Overall length
3.34 in (85 mm)

300 WSM:

Bullet diameter
.308 in (7.8 mm)

Neck diameter
.344 in (8.7 mm)

Shoulder diameter
.538 in (13.7 mm)

Base diameter
.555 in (14.1 mm)

Case length
2.100 in (53.3 mm)

Overall length
2.860 in (72.6 mm)

I would suggest you get a reloading book made by Nosler, Sierra, Speer, or Berger. Read about the various cartridges and become more knowledgeable about the terminology.

AZShooter, being new to rifles i guess i was complaining more than anything.it just seems like they'd want to eliminate some confusion when it comes to bullets and guns. I mean, why not label the bullet for the chamber it fits? i.e., .513 for the win mag. and .555 for the super mag.

wbm, you dont have to be a dick about it. printed word doesn't always translate well i'm not an idiot.
Maybe you need to work on your ability to communicate with the written word. If English is not your first language, maybe you should have put something (like your location) in the place that askes for your "location" when you signed up for the forum. Then, others would take this fact into account when answering. Punctuation, along with a coherent sentence, does count, and allows efficient conversation. As is, your posts make no sense at all.

Last edited:
The bullet IS labeled as to which BORE it fits. .308 fits a .308 bore. 7mm or .284 fits same.

There is a range of bullets for any given caliber. .308 runs from approx. 100 gr to up to 240 grs with plenty in between.

As for names of chamberings that can get crazy. Some are based on their bore and length like a 7 x 57. Some are named by their date of use. 30-06 is 30 cal which began use in 1906.
Some are proprietary like the 300 WSM (Winchester short magnum).

Still say looking at a few reloading books will clean much of this up.

Sierra's 5th Edition reloading manual is one of the best. Lot's of history about different calibers, great reloading data....what's not to like. Best $25-30 you will spend. Have almost worn mine out.

guys like some of us that have been around for a long time forget that a beginner has questions that we think are silly but better to ask then try to jam a cartridge into a gun it doesnt belong in.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.