and one 300w.mag.with savage police #10, +/- 10 pounds! with muzzlebreak

for me, in the deepwood, my 300wsm

for long range, my 300win.mag!

only one???

my 300win.mag!!!

why?

easier to reload, and the best with muzzlebreak

just my 02$

Savage is making a pretty versatile platform. Remingtons versatility requires a gunsmith. Flip a coin on caliber but do not disregard the short caliber in a long action for the heavy or sleek bullets. just my .02

I have been doing some calling and pricing guns. One of the local gun shops has the Rem 700 SPS SS in Win Mag for a little over $500 new and a used 300 WSM in a Savage weather warrior with the accu-trigger, stock, etc. in the middle $400. Both basically the same, just different makes. Both have clip magazines, i prefer the hinged floor plate, but i guess beggars can't be choosers. Only thing if a person looses a clip they are sol when in the field a thousand miles from home. I have a HV savage and the thing will drive tacks at any distance. Has anyone had any experience with the new REM model and their new trigger. Any advice on this one.

One of my hunting aprtners has a 300win mag 700 sps ss, he bought it last fall. I bedded the rifle in the factory tupperware, and adjusted the x-mark trigger down to 3.5 pounds for him. The rifle groups 165gr accubond handloads into just inch at 100 yards (5 shots), and holds its accuracy well out to 300. It also groups 180gr sst into just a hair over an inch.

The rifle came with the trigger set very heavy. You could almost lift the rifle up by the trigger and not set it off. I would guess it to be around 6.5-7 pounds pull. It was very difficult to shoot with such a heavy trigger. I tried and had to hold the rifle down on the bags like I was holding down a wild animal, crushing the rifle down to fire it without moving as the trigger was pulled. Off hand it was a waste of ammo to try and hit anything smaller than a basket ball at 100 yards. A quick trigger adjustment and its like a new rifle.

It's hard to say which way to lean, the wsm and the win mag are so close. Like I said earlier they are so close in performance it is really down to the rifle you like and the price available.

How many shots has a 300 wsm got before the baral is shot out and how much is a new balral for one

Thanks ???)!

How many shots has a 300 wsm got before the baral is shot out and how much is a new balral for one

Thanks ???)!

Of course it depends on what and how you shoot. 2500 or more down to 1000.
Rebarreling also has a lot of variance, $300 or less to as much as you want to spend.

While having a belt isn't needed it doesn't cause any problems for me. I still just kiss the shoulder when resizing like I do for non belted cartridges. I'm certainly not going to exclude an excellent cartridge because it has a belt. Besides, belts can be good for rookie reloaders. It keeps the base pushed up against the bolt face which keeps from having case head separation when the shoulder gets set back a bit too far.

If you really want to wake up the WSM, build it on a long action. If you go long, you may as well go win mag.

300 win mag has my vote... larger powder capacity which well allow for better performance with the heavier bullets, which equals higher bc's and more retained energy for larger game at extended rangers and less wind drift.

Trample the weak and hurdle the dead gun)

Is it me or is 300 wm brass hard to come by lately? Worse yet though... Isn't it even harder to find 300 wsm brass? My buddy has a 300 wsm and even though he gets more life out of his brass... He hasn't found any in an eon.

I haven't had any problem finiding any brass but my buddy has a 7wsm and he swears he hasnt seen any in a while now, so I would imagine the 300wsm would follow suit since it's as new and not as used as the 300 win mag. I have heard that the 300wsm can get a few more fired rounds form the brass and belive its do to it being strech less, the heat generated and the short fat and less taper of the powder column of the 300wsm that alows for the bass life to be a few rounds longer to the 300 win mag.

Trample the weak and hurdle the deadgun)

300 win mag has my vote... larger powder capacity which well allow for better performance with the heavier bullets, which equals higher bc's and more retained energy for larger game at extended rangers and less wind drift.

Trample the weak and hurdle the dead gun)
WSM More efficient powder column. Same velocity at the same pressure. Heavies or not.

Physics is physics.

Here is a spot on cut paste, I'm sure it has already been addressed:

The 2 cartridges are different, but not so different. From a sheer performance standpoint, the 2 are nearly identical, nearly. It's quite interesting, but with the lighter bullets like 155-180 grain, the .300 WSM will shoot those bullets FASTER than the .300 winmag will. The nice thing about this is that the .300 WSM will do it with less powder, which means less reloading cost, less heat on the barrel, which results in slightly less barrel wear. This is IF they have the same length of barrel, that being around 24". Now, when you get to the 190 grain bullets, the two will perform nearly identical, although the edge is starting to go to the .300 winchester magnum. Once you get get past 190 grain, the WSM will trail behind, and will not be able to achieve the same velocity that the .300 win mag will be able to with those heavier bullets; this being a result of the WSM having less case capacity. Most people don't shoot bullets over 190 grains, but if you intend to do so, it is a performance issue.

I know people are not going to agree with this but this is the way I see it. The 300 Win Mag and the 308 Baer which is a Weatherby imp were very popular about 5 or 6 years ago in 1000 Yard BR. They disappeared now because the WSM is so much easier to tune and they stay that way in temperature changes. They just plain down shoot and have put a hurt on the 1000 yard BR records. Now these guys build guns and try everything imaginable to win. In other words they shoot what is accurate. The nodes where they want to shoot is big. I am not basing this off a gun or two. We have at least 90 light gun shooters and 70 Heavy gun shooters that shoot every other week. So I get to see a lot of guns shoot and see a lot of targets that are officially measured by a scoring committee. The WSM will outlast the 300 win Mag. The throat in my Baer moved over .025 every year. The throat in my 300 WSM only moves .005 in three years. That is a big difference in barrel wear. Now this is in my heavy gun where you shoot 7 to 8 sighters in a 6 minute period and when the record comes up I shoot 10 shots in 30 seconds. So this is really hard on barrels because of the heat. The barrel wear is comparing 3 years of stats with both calibers. The Baer is very close to what you would shoot in a 300 WIN. I shoot the bullets 10 in so I check the marks on the bullets every time I load and write the OAL from base to ogive in my book. These are actual movements of my throat. You can get about 2850 to 2900 with a 210 VLD with 4831 SC or H4350. If you shoot the 230 and 7828 SSC you can get 3000 if your throat is long enough. The brass is really strong and thick so it lasts. All the advantages I see is going to the WSM. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.