300 WSM Limitations?

stanley52

Ok so I have a stiller SA predator on order so that I can use Wyatt internal mag metal. This will allow 2.995 COAL. Meaning I can load out to 2.95 and still have 20 thousandths to push bullets out more as my throat erodes and still maintain 25 thousands away from the mag wall for reliable loading. Will this give me adequate load out room to avoid super compressed loads if I wanted to use 190-210gr bullets, specifically Amax's and the New Long Range Accubonds. Thanks!

Ok so I have a stiller SA predator on order so that I can use Wyatt internal mag metal. This will allow 2.995 COAL. Meaning I can load out to 2.95 and still have 20 thousandths to push bullets out more as my throat erodes and still maintain 25 thousands away from the mag wall for reliable loading. Will this give me adequate load out room to avoid super compressed loads if I wanted to use 190-210gr bullets, specifically Amax's and the New Long Range Accubonds. Thanks!

Yes to all of the above. The 300 WSM is extremely capable with heavies. I run the 190 and 210 Berger at 2.995 against the lands with 7828SSC at 2940 fps for the 190s and 2840 fps with the 210. I also run the 230 Berger OTMs at 3.010 with 7828ssc at 2700 fps.

I tried the 230 gr hybrids in my friend's 300 WSM Browning A-bolt. Magazine is a short 2.8". Bullet is so far into the case we jokingly say it is sitting in the primer. RL-17 yielded 2720 fps with good accuracy. Tested it on the 500M rams at the silhouette range West of Tucson and got good results.

I tried the 230 gr hybrids in my friend's 300 WSM Browning A-bolt. Magazine is a short 2.8". Bullet is so far into the case we jokingly say it is sitting in the primer. RL-17 yielded 2720 fps with good accuracy. Tested it on the 500M rams at the silhouette range West of Tucson and got good results.

in the middle of a 375 ruger build on an a bolt action and i have found out that not all magazine lengths are the same in the Brownings. for instance my 7mm and my dads 375 h&h ... both on long actions different inserts in the magazine. your buddy may be able to find a different magazine on gun broker to fix his length issue if it bugs him

You can make a lot of things work but if you are starting from scratch with this as a specific desire, I think it is poor planning to build it with that magazine length.

You can make a lot of things work but if you are starting from scratch with this as a specific desire, I think it is poor planning to build it with that magazine length.

What would you propose as an alternative then sir? That is the longest internal magazine for a 700 SA you can find. I do not necessarily want to go to a LA for the weight and feeding issues associated with a 300 WSM in LA's.

Look at the Defiance Machine XM actions. They have hinged and blind magazines with a 3.200 length. They also show actions in stock for sale today.

What would you propose as an alternative then sir? That is the longest internal magazine for a 700 SA you can find. I do not necessarily want to go to a LA for the weight and feeding issues associated with a 300 WSM in LA's.

The WSM is what it is. An .06 case variant will quick cycle smoother and faster than a WSM in any action. If the feedrails are done right and you use a centerfeed mag box you should have no issues with feeding. If you want a few ounces lighter short action than you're going to sacrifice some performance with heavier bullets. It's all about priorities. When I load 210 Bergers to just off the lands with a COAL of about 3.150, my max load is about 2935 fps.

The Defiance XM sounds like a perfect fit to me.

I understand there is a trade off, but I guess my question is it really that much? BC those defiance XM actions are perfect, but they require custom stocks because they are about 1/4" longer than standard 700 SA's. If I went with say a stiller TAC 300 or Predator series, what would I need to have done to ensure reliable feeding and etc. exactly?

It's hard to say what the difference in velocity performance would be in getting max case capacity vs seating the fit the box. I wouldn't think anymore than 50 fps. I've never done a comparison. After having one WSM in a short action, I've decided I won't go that route again because I use long high BC bullets. If I was shooting 165's or even lead core 180's it would be a different story. But my rifles are for LR, so I use the longer bullets and put the priority on max efficiency.

A 700 clone LA is a bit of over kill. Any WSM builds I do will be on Howa/Vanguards which are a little shorter or if in the budget, the XM action sounds perfect but you would need a customized stock for the XM.

The feeding between a SA and a LA should really not be a big deal if you set it up properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.