.300 WSM decision

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by deerdropper, Dec 15, 2010.

1. deerdropper

deerdropper Member

I am in the market for a 300 WSM I am looking at the Tikka and the Weatherby Vanguard, would like to know which is better, Thank You.

2. matt_3479

matt_3479 Well-Known Member

Do not own either but was in your situation a few months back. I was about to go with the Tikka T3 Laminate until i ran across a deal i couldn't pass. 500 even for Brand new 21 rounds down the tube Browning A-Bolt with scope mounts and sling. I took it and am very please. Holds moa with factory ammo out to 300 yards so far if i do my part.

take a look at Browning. If not definitely go Tikka

3. deerdropper

deerdropper Member

Sounds like a great deal!! I have looked into browning but they are a bit out of my price range, unless I can find a good deal like that.

4. bates132

bates132 Member

+1 for the Tikka

5. DUKFVR

DUKFVR Well-Known Member

I know you didn't include it in your choice, but look at a Savage too if you haven't. Of your 2 choices I would lean to the Vanguard.

6. BIG MO

BIG MO Well-Known Member

Both should easily go SUB-MOA with a tuned handload. I prefer the Vangard because it has a beefier action and a little more weight for stability and absorbing recoil. If you shoulder both rifles back to back, that Tikka is gonna feel pretty light and wispy. A 300WSM pushing a high BC 180-210 bullet at max velocity will generate some recoil. I also prefer the Monte Carlo cheek on the Vangard stock and the recoil pad is decent.

The Vangard's now have a pretty decent trigger that can be adjust down to about 3lbs. The Tikka has an excellent trigger that can be adjusted down to about 2.5lbs. I like a 2lb trigger and for $95, the Timney is an easy drop in on the Vangard.

I have three Vangards, 300WSM, 270WSM, and 7mmRM. On all three, I can load the big Bergers into the lands and the rounds will still fit the magazine. The Tikka, I don't know if this would be an option?

Plus, lets face it, that Tikka is a little funny looking......LOL

7. ShooterMedic

ShooterMedic Well-Known Member

I own a tika t3 lite and love it. As stated it will shoot MOA/Sub MOA.

My tika loves RL 17 and 180 gr Accubonds.

They have the adjustable trigger that is great and they are comfortable to pack around the hills. They also have one of the smoothest actions on the market,

The only draw back I found is, if you want and extra mag they run about 75-80 bucks.

If you are worried about recoil, I threw a limb saver recoil pad on mine and it kicks about the same as my 30-06,
    You will not be disappointed.

8. elkoholic72

elkoholic72 Well-Known Member

+1 on the tikka. Have several, one being a 300wsm that likes Combined Technologies 150, 168, and 180s. Really loves the 150s with H4831sc or RL17. Also shoots the hsm tg 168s into <3/4. Will shoot H4831sc and 150/168 easily <1/2. Here is a tikka 300wsm that has served me well! Have taken a couple of decent bucks with it in the past. By the way, if you are going to cerakote an 800$ scope, you had better like it!!!! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  9. deerdropper

deerdropper Member

Nice Bucks Elkaholic, I purchased a Weatherby today used but dosent appear that a scope has even been put on it!! $350

10. hifi

hifi Member

I had bought a 308 vanguard and a 300wsm tikka t3 lite, for me the vanguard in 308 kicked about as much as the tikka, kept the tikka and love it

11. signature542

signature542 Well-Known Member

I have both Vanguards/Howa and the T3

If carrying it a long way, the T3 with a Limbsaver pad and an Ernie the gunsmith T 3 varmint spring is really hard to beat.

The Vanguard is a solid beefier action but no more accurate than the the ones I have tested and shot. With hanloads the T 3 is a laser and quality is high.

If you are thinking of custom mods later on the Vanguard may be easier to work on..