300 WSM brass to 7mm WSM

Yes, I've done it. It's the best way to take advantage of the great Norma brass.

300wsm brass is a great starting point since all you need to do is neck down making a false shoulder that will headspace nice and snug.

Load them up and shoot.

Here's a picture of a false shoulder next to the parent case.

S8000682.jpg

how do you fire form them? Do you actually load a bullet in there or do you just use like 8 gr. of a pistol powder with a bit of a napkin in the case to hold the powder in the case and to start to form some pressure?

I have loaded a reduced load in the powder I wish to use and fired away perfect forming. .308 to .284 you may have to turn the necks, but shoot them first and drop a bullet in the spent case if it falls through easily your good to go but if not they will have to be turned. If anyone knows a better way (Maybe Micrometer) correct me. From the looks of the picture you may have to force the bolt shut hard but afterwards they will chamber very easy. Lou

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.