300 WSM and VLD's for elk?

Thanks for all the info guys.

Broz, I have a bunch of 230 otm's that I have been loading into of my rum. What is your load out of the win mag for the the 230's and the 210's

Ican, Coeur d' alene is about 30,000. I have lived here my whole life minus a few years for uncle sam.

Tikamike, I am not a Barnes fan, but I will try some of there 200 grainers

Thanks

Broz, I have a bunch of 230 otm's that I have been loading into of my rum. What is your load out of the win mag for the the 230's and the 210's

Both with H-1000 and Fed 215's in Lapua brass. I would start at 74 gr with a 210 and work up. If you use RWS brass start at 72 gr due to the lower case volume.

The 230's I think we ended up at 72 gr. But will have to ask my son. It is his rifle and he worked up the load.

As always start low and work up.:)

Jeff

Thanks for all the info guys.

Ican, Coeur d' alene is about 30,000. I have lived here my whole life minus a few years for uncle sam.

Tikamike, I am not a Barnes fan, but I will try some of there 200 grainers

Thanks
74.5 grn retumbo 230 grn otm tactical 2750fps 24"barrel

woops thats for the wm not rum

65.4 grains of 7828SSC in a 300 WSM Norma case with the 230 OTM Tactical at 2700 fps has been my best combination in a 24" barreled Winchester Extreme Weather.

It's by far the best load I have found for this rifle, and the .711 BC of the 230 OTM at 2700 fps easily outshines the 210 VLD fired 100 fps faster.

This year I went to the 180 grain cutting edge bullet with great results. It is a custom lathe turned copper bullet that is extremely accurate and dependable on game. I get a bc around .6 and they now conservatively list it at .57 or so. It is pricey but worth it for me as a pure hunting bullet. You should be able to get 3100 fps or so out of it. Run the numbers and see what you think.

This year I went to the 180 grain cutting edge bullet with great results. It is a custom lathe turned copper bullet that is extremely accurate and dependable on game. I get a bc around .6 and they now conservatively list it at .57 or so. It is pricey but worth it for me as a pure hunting bullet. You should be able to get 3100 fps or so out of it. Run the numbers and see what you think.
LTLR,
What barrel length are you using? When I ran the numbers I get 1649fps at 1000yds using the advertised .570 bc. Do you know if that bullet will have good expansion at the velocity?

Not a Tikka but my savage 300wsm with 24" barrel did well with Berger 190 hunting VLD's, CCI 250's and 64gr H4350 seating to the lands. If I remember right was getting right around 2850fps out of it. As always you should work up to anything you find listed online. Good luck.
185 Berger classic hunter rl-22 or rl 23. Br2 primer mag length from stock tikka. 2950 vel. Pm me for charge weight if interested also haveing good luck with 210vld. 3 tikkas I've had all liked this load

Just rebarreled a tikka to 300wsm shooting 180-200 gr vlds and accubonds, I really 7828 and h-4350 are giving good results at around 2800-2900fps, nodes around 62-63gr on the 4350, and 68-69gr on the 7828 are giving me my best groups at 100 haven't stretched them out yet though, your mileage my vary, using a 24.4" bbl with a long action magazine, haven't tried the 210-230's as I have a bunch of the others

While I also love the accubond and use it exclusively in my 25-06, and have found all 3 of my rifles(non-custome) shoot the tsx and ttsx bullets well, I would not hesitate to reach for the Berger VLD Hunting bullet. I have killed 2 elk with those and one with an accubond from my 7mmMag and the bergers have performed equally or better. My shots with Berger's have been reliable to 575 so far. As you know for long range, a bullet that fly's well doesn't hurt and neither the Accubond or especially the TTSX/LRX can match the bc of the berger, nor the price.

Bergers come apart and do massive damage, but don't let anyone tell you they won't penetrate into the vitals, because they will. You will find pieces of jacket and core. The TTSX will be in one piece and likely a pass through. The accubond will be somewhere in between. If you have a preference for pass through blood trails, then take a trade off for ballistic performance and go with the TTSX.

Of course I recommend shooting what your gun can shoot well. Sorry I don't shoot the WSM so I can't recommend a load, but the search function on here will find you a few hundred responses. I would get a few VLD bullets you are considering and see if seated to the lands if it will fit in your mag, because if it doesn't it may not shoot as well.
I've elk hunted with my custom 300WSM shooting 185 grain Berger's, no success on trying them on elk tho but I had faith in them. Now that's speaking for a shot that doesn't hit the massive leg bone. My friend shot a mature cow with his 7mm Rem mag at 75 yards quartering toward him. The 168 grain Berger hit her front left shoulder bone and rolled up in a ball on it! I was very surprised and luckily she stopped at 400 yards to see what happened. That bullet struck her high in the shoulder breaking her back, of course dry! I wouldn't hesitate to use the same bullets and calibers again but experience is knowledge and I'd just be alert that the Berger's may not plow thru heavy bone like expected. Same shot angle and bullet speed no bullet may perform as expected! Just what I experienced.

Recent Posts