300 WSM and VLD's for elk?

RLA

I picked up a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a VLD for elk out to 800 yards. Also, what powder you are using.

Thanks

Not a Tikka but my savage 300wsm with 24" barrel did well with Berger 190 hunting VLD's, CCI 250's and 64gr H4350 seating to the lands. If I remember right was getting right around 2850fps out of it. As always you should work up to anything you find listed online. Good luck.

The 210 or 215 Berger with H4350 would be the proper medicine. That is a very powerful popular load for the 300WSM with heavies. You may want to try H1000 or IMR7828 also.

Tank

I never hunted elk but I was thinking the 200g TTSX, I had a supervisior in the Navy that was from your town. Is it a big town?

Jon
the 200 TTSX is actually now called the LRX and I have used them and love them, thay are very long and you may have a problem in your magazine thats why I didnt list them but in my opinion is the best choice!

Ican- my town is only 1100 people so theres a good chance I know of him at least or his family. what was his name?

Mike

I ment the OPs town sorry. I thought that Barnes discontinued the name LRX and now everything is called the TTSX? I have a box of the 180g LRX on the shelf from years ago I think there are 8 bullets left in there. I dont intend to use them, not much anyone can do with 8 bullets unless you already have a load for them?

as far as I know they started calling them LRX again. they have a new label on the box and everything.. The boxes I bought a few months ago were still called LRX at least.

While I also love the accubond and use it exclusively in my 25-06, and have found all 3 of my rifles(non-custome) shoot the tsx and ttsx bullets well, I would not hesitate to reach for the Berger VLD Hunting bullet. I have killed 2 elk with those and one with an accubond from my 7mmMag and the bergers have performed equally or better. My shots with Berger's have been reliable to 575 so far. As you know for long range, a bullet that fly's well doesn't hurt and neither the Accubond or especially the TTSX/LRX can match the bc of the berger, nor the price.

Bergers come apart and do massive damage, but don't let anyone tell you they won't penetrate into the vitals, because they will. You will find pieces of jacket and core. The TTSX will be in one piece and likely a pass through. The accubond will be somewhere in between. If you have a preference for pass through blood trails, then take a trade off for ballistic performance and go with the TTSX.

Of course I recommend shooting what your gun can shoot well. Sorry I don't shoot the WSM so I can't recommend a load, but the search function on here will find you a few hundred responses. I would get a few VLD bullets you are considering and see if seated to the lands if it will fit in your mag, because if it doesn't it may not shoot as well.

The 210 or maybe even the 230 Berger over H-1000. We take many elk with them each year in a 300 Win. This year I can think of 4 right off. Here are a few kills from the 210's and the 230's in a 300 win this past season.

210 @ 643 yrds.
PART_1319506322849Small-1.jpg

230 @c 511 yds

DSC03269Small.jpg

230 @ 400 yds

2011-11-21_16-48-57_23Small.jpg

230 @ 893 yds

DSC03282Medium.jpg

210 @ 325 yds

DSC03306Small.jpg

Plus my bull 210 berger @ 425 yds that was so small I didnt take a pic. A disabled neighbor I took in to get a cow. He used my 300 win with 210's and dumped hs cow @ 521 for his longest shot ever.

And I will add my wifes cow at 816. and my muley @ 767. but both of these were with 300 bergers from my .338 LM.

DSC03253Small.jpg

DSC03286Medium.jpg

Yeah, they work for us. Never tracked one and all were one shot and dead.

Jeff

Don't be afraid to try the Bergers on elk. I was able to take my first long range bull this year at just a tad over 1,000 yards with a 210VLD at 3100fps. I put one shot in his shoulder that struck about 6 inches above the joint completely destroying several vertical inches of bone and then went on to take out the lung on that side. I put another one in his neck which not surprisingly went clean through. He went between 5 and 10 yards from where I shot him to where I found him dead.

For a vld it's tough to beat the 190 or 210 Bergers. The new hybrid looks promising but I have no personal experience with it in my Tikkas.

Mine likes H1000 and Retumbo with heavier loads.

If you're looking for a tougher long range bullet then the Barnes lrx is a great way to go. It will still expand at 1400fps where the Accubond wont expand at less than 1800fps.

Keep us posted on how your rig turns out!

I ran 210 Bergers at 2760fps out of my WSM this year, one shot kill at 580 on a mature bull. A friend used my rifle for a one shot kill at 120yds and another friend used it at 440 for his bull, he shot it twice behind the shoulder 1-1/2 inch apart and it didn't go anywhere either. One shot would have done just fine but I told him to give it another because it stood there for a few seconds and I wasn't sure that he had hit it.

Even at 2760 fps these little WSM's shine with the 210 VLD. I used 190's a few years back and they did fine but go with 210's they are better. This rifle(Rem 700 SPS) shot a 3 shot 3/4 inch group at 300 yds during pre season zero, so they are also super accurate.

I am using H4831sc, cci mag primers, win brass, 5 thou off lands, coal is slightly less than 3" so it fits a Wyatts box in a rem 700 short.