300 WSM ??? 338 Win Mag??? also what about the 308?

Gentlemen,
You don't care for the .300 WSM brass made by Norma or what? I love it and wouldn't think about even trying the Winchester stuff again. It's more consistent from what I've found. And I don't have to do much to it to get it to shoot. But then it's not like I've owned a dozen .300 WinMags and a dozen .300 WSMs. I've owned 2 of the former and 1 of the latter, with the .300 WSM being so accurate it actually bores me to shoot it for more than 20 rounds in a sitting 'cause I know where the holes are gonna show up every time! And to tell you guys the truth, I've never owned a rifle in any caliber that performed like this .300 WSM.

But I'm deferring to those of you who are competitive shooters at this point. That is something I'll never be as I do not fancy benchrest shooting. For me, it's all about the earth under my belly and on which the bi-pod rests and how far I can see for the topographical characteristics of the terrain across which I'm shooting. Consequently, a 10-round group that measures even 13 or 14 inches at 1000 yards is superb. And I have never been able to do this consistently until I had the .300 WSM built.

Happy hunting all!
Dave

PS - WhoWhisper, if that unremarkable .300 WSM sporter of yours is so accurate, you oughta pass it to one of the boys here who shoots competitively so he can take it to a tournament and freak out everybody when he wins with it!
grin.gif

Gentlemen,
You don't care for the .300 WSM brass made by Norma or what? I love it and wouldn't think about even trying the Winchester stuff again. It's more consistent from what I've found. And I don't have to do much to it to get it to shoot. But then it's not like I've owned a dozen .300 WinMags and a dozen .300 WSMs. I've owned 2 of the former and 1 of the latter, with the .300 WSM being so accurate it actually bores me to shoot it for more than 20 rounds in a sitting 'cause I know where the holes are gonna show up every time! And to tell you guys the truth, I've never owned a rifle in any caliber that performed like this .300 WSM.

But I'm deferring to those of you who are competitive shooters at this point. That is something I'll never be as I do not fancy benchrest shooting. For me, it's all about the earth under my belly and on which the bi-pod rests and how far I can see for the topographical characteristics of the terrain across which I'm shooting. Consequently, a 10-round group that measures even 13 or 14 inches at 1000 yards is still good. And I have never been able to do this consistently until I had this .300 WSM built. This is not to say that it hasn't often printed 10-round groups that measure < 10" at 1000 yards either!

Happy hunting all!
Dave

PS - WhoWhisper, if that unremarkable .300 WSM sporter of yours is so accurate, you oughta pass it to one of the boys here who shoots competitively so he can take it to a tournament and freak out everybody when he wins with it!
grin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>There's one way to tell if he would do better with more prep work...

You take and do a nice job neck turning half of his cases for him, use the steel wool on them so he can't see the difference between the unturned ones, hide his caliper, do all the rest of the prep you'd have him do and you select the cases he shoots in the matches for him. Boyd has to agree to the blind study though, soon as he looked carefully when reloading them he'd know which was which. Come on Boyd, play along and see.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm up for it...I would not shoot them in a match tho..I would however shoot them back to back in the evening when the wind has died down.I would be willing to bet a buck that mine will out shoot his...
wink.gif

HB,

I'm telling you... I got a used McMillan HTG... painted it myself.. had a Rem SA and a used Rem PSS barrel.. ( 30 Cal ) sent it to a guy a l o n g time ago and almost forgot about it.. it shows up one day and everything looks good but can't get the catridges to feed or can I get to the lands.. I called Chris Matthews and he says send her to me I got the solution...
He sends her back.. I look in the sierra manual .. hmmm 168's should do.. find what they say the most accurate powder and charge weight should be.. load up 5 of them.. and a fowler( .020 off the lands )

boom......boom, boom ,boom, boom, boom.....

holy crap!!!!

P1013172.jpg

and here she is.. my bargain basement 300 WSM with a twist of " longshot rifles" ( CM )

300WSMa.jpg

this .. $800 rifle.. is now valued at $1500!!!
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Brent, Boyd and Vern

To do this correctly, I would have to have the rifle and shoot over a chronagraph to get the "BEST" 10 cases when I was "done" with the case prep and loading.

That's not going to happen and I understand why. Just extra rounds on his rifle especially if he is trying to make that rifle last another season. I don't blame him at all.

Boyd is the "ONLY" person I have "ever" heard of in this 1000 yard game , that don't do anything to his cases and has done well this past shooting season. It works for him.

My thoughts still are, he would do even better then he did this year (which was good) and be more "consistant" if more time were spent with case preperation?
We will never know though. As he said, he tried some case prep and did not do as well. Was this a windy relay he tried them in, did the sun go in and out while he was shooting, did a quick cross wind kick up during his match string? All these factors could have been going on when he tried them that day, as compared to another relay or match.

Whatever Boyd is doing, it seems to work for him and that's all anyone can ask for in this game of 1000 yard shooting.
As far as him turning necks, he couldn't turn them much as he has a standard factory chamber in his rifles. It is not a tight neck at all. If he turns them to much, the necks will split on him. He could only get by with truing them up a little bit.

As for the other poster that mentioned Norma brass, I think Boyd tried the Norma brass and went back to Winchester?

Vern, I hate to take the young wippers money.
grin.gif
-- Well, on second thought, maybe a dollar will be OK?

I think we are getting away from the original question that was asked to start
with though.

Later All
DC
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>As for the other poster that mentioned Norma brass, I think Boyd tried the Norma brass and went back to Winchester?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I shoot Norma brass...I broke the barrel in with win brass...The reason I use Norma brass is that everybody else is using win brass
grin.gif

Ahhhh Haaaaa

Now the truth is coming out.

Boyd didn't you tell me , I just take the Winchester brass out of the bag and load it after I weigh it and seperate it that way??

I thought you said you were shooting Winchester brass at least part way through the 2003 shooting season when I had asked?
grin.gif
grin.gif

That could have been John Hoover though, he uses Winchester brass in his 6.5/284 "only."

I use Norma brass in my 300 WSM especially since I got that 200 rounds you had ordered from Troxells and didn't want.
Thanks for that one guy. I always did like and use Norma and Lapua brass in my 1000 yd guns, when I could.

Hope in 2004, your good shooting continues on the same path as it did this year.
smile.gif

We better be ready for Vern though. He may put it on Both of us next year?

later
DC

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I use Norma brass in my 300 WSM especially since I got that 200 rounds you had ordered from Troxells and didn't want.
Thanks for that one guy. I always did like and use Norma and Lapua brass in my 1000 yd guns, when I could.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The reason why I did'nt get them is because Tim F GAVE me a box of 200 after I ordered the ones from Troxells...The Win brass does hold more powder.But the bag I had was ALL OVER THE PLACE weight wise...TOO much work sorting them out
grin.gif

DC,

The flyer was me indirectly... I didn't have the post on the rest tightened and it wiggled a bit...

fyi.. I prep my brass trim, primer pocket uniform, ream w/ bevel inside and outside the flash hole as well as turn the necks just to "clean them up"

it works for me!

Ric

Looks like it's working for you.

Glad to see your preping the brass for the best accuracy possible.
grin.gif

Are you using a bushing die too?
If so, what neck do you have in that one?

later
DC

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.