300 WM and 210 SMK loads?

sewwhat89

Has anyone played with this combination long enough to develop some load data? Sierra recommended I start off with 220 SMK MAX data and titrate up in 0.5 gr increments. That would mean about 75 gr H1000 or 69 gr of H4831sc for me based off Sierra #5. I rounded down for safety's sake.

Sierra lists COALs of about 3.340". I am currently shooting 175 and 190 SMKs along with 190 gr Berger VLDs loaded out to about 3.6". That gives me about 0.005" into the lands and 1/3 - 1/2 MOA. That being said, should I bump up the loads a couple grains to start with to make up for the added case capacity?

I'd do what Sierra's suggested. Your barrel may be tighter than the one Sierra's load was developed with and that could easily cancel out the increased case capacity you have. You may well end up with a grain less than what those for 200gr. SMK's list.

I haven't loaded for the Sierra 210's yet,but I did a lot of load workups with the Berger 210 VLD's and found it shot great with 80gr of H1000.This was both in a factory Sendero and a H-S Precision custom rifle.

I haven't gone beyond 200 grain bullet with my 300 Win Mag yet. I used 73.5 grain IMR 7828 for 200 grain Sierra MK. Very accurate load but not good enough to upstage the best load I developed for my Model 70 Laredo. Ignoring Hornady's maximum recommended load for their 180 grain BTSP using H-1000 powder by 3.4 grain, I was able to push this excellent bullet at around 3,100 fps. Accuracy is awesome. I used this rifle and bullet combination to make my longest shot ever on a deer at 638 yards. Top two target below is a typical 3 shot group.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/silay57/Picture010.jpg

I plan to work up a ladder with the H1000 first. FWIW, I too have well exceeded loads from bullet and powder manufacturers before reaching max loads. For the 175 SMKs, I went to 83 gr before I got sticky extraction, but 81-81.5 was my accuracy node. I still have not chrono'd this load, but my point is to take my "best" loads with the 175 SMK, 190 SMK, 190 Berger VLD and 210 SMK to the limits of my range to see which one will consistently give me the best groups. It also gives me an excuse to do a lot of shooting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will have to hold off a few weeks though, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, because of crunch-time at school and the high cost of gas to travel 3 hours to the range.

Man that sucks, traveling 3 hours to the range!! I can shoot out to 1150, 5 minutes from my house, makes it kinda nice. I can test loads in the morning, come back home, do some checking and comparisons, load some more up, go shoot in the afternoon, if there still not good enough, I can load a couple more loads and shoot for the 3rd time in the evening. Thats what I did today, I first shot 800 yards with my .270. Then in the afternoon I shot 500 yards, and also zeroed my 210g vld's out of my 300 RUM once again. Getting that ready for the 1000 yard tv shoot soon. Then in the evening, I went back out to 800 to practice with my 270 once again, and to get my 210g vlds on paper and get an idea of what there doing. It was a long, but fun day at the range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways, I did not know sierra is making a 210g SMK. Well I had heard they were making them, but did not know they were available yet. I to have worked up loads 2-3 grains past books maximum before seeing sticky bolts or pretty bad looking primers. Books seem to be conservative for most everythign I"ve loaded for. I usually start 1g below what the book says for max, and work up in .5g. Seems to work for me anyways.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.