300 WM, 300 WBY Mag or 300 RUM?

Samson,

Funny thing... I just ordered a LR Deer gun from Chris Matthews... I had my pick fo the calibers you mentioned...

I went with the 300WSM.. here's why..

I knew that 1100-1200 yards was my desired max yardage. If you look at all the load data on the 300wsm it puches the 190 gr bullet to 2800fps...in a 24" tube

I ran the numbers on that...
((2000 ft in altitude ( approx in PA,) 40* and 78% humidity ))

2800fps 190SMK @ 1000 yards 1414fps and 844ft.lbs.
add now a 28" tube at @ 35fps per inch (140 fps gain ) 2940...fps
at 1000 yards 1505 fps and 956 ft. lbs

That is a 1000 yard deer gun!!

now enter the 200 gr Accubond you should be able to acheive 2850 fps with it in a 28" tube...

at 1100 yards 1461 fps and 947 ft. lbs

there is your 1100 yard deer gun..

For got to mention,

Norma brass, less powder.. and a Short Action...

and yes you can do this on a short action .. Just ask Chris Matthews.. he already built one on it for me!!!

[ 10-30-2003: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]

I agree with the short action magnum reasoning, but I have one thought to add.

My 300 SAUM will shoot the 200 gr Accubond at the velocities you mentioned (and faster). I believe the 300 WSM should shoot them a bit faster than the 300 SAUM. However, shooting them fast and shooting them accurately seem to be two different beasts. With my rifle (always the qualifier) it shoots them more accurately at lower speeds. Of course with somebody like Chris Matthews building a gun you can be pretty sure it will have a tendency to be more accurate, but maybe with a bigger cartridge you will have a broader velocity range to play for accuracy.

I am using my 300 SAUM as more of a learning tool to apply the knowledge gained here at ranges under 700 yards so it is great for that.

Sampson

I would go with the 300 RUM and never look back.
No belt and 300 FPS faster using the same barrel length and 190 gr bullets as in the 300 WSM.

It also has the ability to use the 220 and 240 gr bullets better then the 300 WSM and will shoot 90" flatter at 1000 yards using the 190 gr bullet and 24" barrels, not to mention the additional energy levels way out there. Add 4" of barrel length "to both" and the the bullet impact is still MUCH flatter when using the 300 RUM.

When you decide to further the range from 1100 or 1200 yards, you will have the cartridge to do so if you choose the 300 RUM.

You have the advantage to load it up or down to suit your hunting needs.

As for power, the 300 RUM with the 240 gr bullet (BC .711) will out perform "ANY" 338 250 gr bullet but, not the 300 gr. So in reality your limited to bullet choice if you go to the 338 for longrange hunting.

My choice would be the 300 RUM for your situation here in PA or a trip out west.
smile.gif

You can also use any good factory mag action with the 300 RUM just like you can with the others mentioned.

I have all of the rifles mentioned except the 300 Win mag which I just sold. Can make a real good comparison on this thread.

Later
DC
smile.gif

[ 10-30-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

****, you mean you can see 1200 yards in PA???? Darryl musta got new Glasses...
grin.gif
wink.gif

I have to qulify here..
Yes I plan on pushing the 300WSM faster...

I do like 300RUM... as well.... but for a carry gun and still capable of 1000 yards...it has to be a Tactical 300WSM.. don't look back....

I forgot to mention Chris and I are working on a REAL BIG boomer as well....
shocked.gif

Samson,

So far I've only found Remington brass for the .338 RUM. It's nice looking brass, and so far so good. I'm on my fourth loading and all is well. May need to aneal the necks the next time around.

As far as accuracy, I've got .6 MOA on my factory LSS using 250 grain Gamekings and IMR4831. I've heard of many Sendero's getting sub 0.5 MOA right out of the box using factory ammo no less.

If you want some interesting reading on the RUM, check the Nosler web-site and read what they're doing with all of their .338 test barrels - they're rechambering all of them to RUM because of its "surprising accuracy". I think the .300 RUM is a bit over-bore, but I definately feel that the .338 RUM is not.

While there are some hard-core 30 caliber guys here, I believe that when it comes to stopping power or wind bucking, the .338 has a bit more going for it.

Mark in Utah

Doggone, thought I saw some Winchester brass in 300 Ultra Mag, now I'm gonna have to go back and check! Now, wish some of you guys would talk a little 'bout loading some of them mag calibers down. That might be interesting to hear the problems that might come up!

Ric

1200 yards????

That's a walk in the park.
I believe I sent you pics of my shooting building where we have 3000 yards of shooting if we want it.

You really can't run the velocity up much further with the WSM and shoot it accuratly.

A carry gun can be made on the 300 RUM as well since I believe a muzzle brake is going to be used on any of them anyway?

I believe from the original posts and calibers that Sampson asked about, he would be much better off over powered then under powered and that leaves the 300 RUM.

If he were to Get that 210 JLK and 240 gr MK working in the 300 RUM, he wouldn't carry anything else for 1000 to 1500 yards (or further) if he wants to go there .
That includes the 338 also unless your shooting the 300 gr bullet and have a real large case.

Mark
If your 338 is shooting the 300 gr MK then I have to agree with your thoughts.
As per accuracy, the 210 gr Berger or 240 in the 300 RUM is very accurate also and not behind any 338.

I have two 338/416 Rigby IMPs that will blow the doors off a 338 RUM and have been trying to work with some 250 gr bullets. Problem is, they just don't stand up to the 300 gr at all.
Accuracy wise, the 210 Berger, 210 JLK and 240 gr MK is extremely accuracte in the 300 RUM. Much more so then the 250 gr 338 seems to be.
That leaves just "one good" bullet for the big 338 calibers to use for long and extreme longrange hunting.
I drive the 300 gr 338 @ 3050 FPS in the 32" barrel (so far) and 3310FPS in the 37" barrel.
The bullets at the faster speeds perform on game at extreme longrange so much better that anything any slower seems to perform with less athority then one might want.

I think for Sampsons choice, he would be much better off with the ability to use a selection of many bullets, load for the occasion, and have to ability to reach even further then he stated as his max.

Have a good one.
smile.gif

DC
As an add on---If 338s were so accurate, they would be winning all the 1000 yard matches. They have been tried but, everyone seemed to go back to their 30 cals, 6.5/284s and 6 BRs.
Accuracy wise, the 338 300 gr is very good and hits way out there with athority but, it's not as accurate as the 30 cals overall at the 1000 yard mark.

fab1deb6.jpg.orig.

[ 10-30-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.