300 WM, 225 Grn Hornady BTHP Match Load Suggestions?

cowboyarcher

Hi Guys,

I recently got into the 300 Win Mag caliber and should be able to start load development in the next few weeks I hope. I have a Browning A-Bolt to work with, and the following components:

- Retumbo
- H1000
- H4831SC
- Hornady 225 gr BTHP Match
- Hornady and Win Cases
- WLRM primers.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to COAL these bullets like, or potential accuracy load with these powders? I realize there are a lot of variables here, but I an new to this caliber and just looking form a starting point as the powder will go fairly quickly with this round.

Also, can I just average the Hodgdon data listed for the 220's and the 230's to get a rough idea for the 225's?

Thanks for any help and God bless you fellas,

Adam

Load them .015 off the lands. Work from 71-76 grains with the Retumbo and you should hit on something.

Hornady's got data for the 225 in their book at the stock 3.34" oal for the win. I don't shoot that pill in my 300 win, but my 300 rum sure likes it. H1000 would be the best powder here of the those you have, but retumbo, 7828, rl22, and rl25 will hold their own too. I used 7828 with 220 sierra's in my rifle for a while, and am now trying rl22 with them.
I usually hunt with a 165 hornady in my rifle as the time of flight is a bit lower for mid-range shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.