.300 win vs 7 rem mag

blv19

I recently purchased a Remington 700 in 7 them mag but plan on buying a new barrel. It's the exact same action as a .300 win and I really had my heart set on that caliber. I was thinking of ordering a .300 win barrel and adjusting the head space. What's better as far as bc, bullet availability and power goes? I really want a gun that I can hit something with at long range and it not even know why hit it. A .300 having 1750 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards is pretty impressive IMO. Thanks in advance

Both are fantastic rounds! Both are very similar but the 30. cal will leave a bigger hole in the end. I have both but only one is done up for long range shooting and its my 300. win mag. The 7mm will be done up one day.

My load with the 300. win mag is 210 VLD's pushed about 2850fps and it leaves me with 2190 ft/lbs at 500 yards! In the end you cant go wrong with either!

Dang that is a crazy amount of energy! I'm not into reloading yet so I'm going to be using factory rounds. What grain would thou recommend for the .300 at long range? I heard 190 has a high BC. Also what's scope base do I need 20 moa or 40 moa?

It all depends on what you are wanting to hunt. I have a 7mm RM that I use for deer, and I use a 140 gr. PSP. At 500 yd. it still pushing over 2000 fps, with nearly 1300 ft/lbs of energy. More than enough to drop even the biggest mule deer in its tracks. Some guys who hunt bigger game (elk for example) shoot the bigger 175 gr bullets, but I don't see the point. The load I shoot (Winchester) actually shows that the 160 gr. performs better. 2100 fps/1883 ft/lbs. vs 1566 fps/1378 ft.lbs. of the heavier 175. A heavier bullet doesn't always mean better. Every caliber has its "sweet spot" in terms of bullet weight.

Now if I'm going to be shooting really, really long, I just go to the gun safe and get out the Lapua. If it won't reach it, or put it down, I don't need to be taking the shot....

Thank you guys. I ordered my barrel in .300 win mag. I decided to shoot 190 gr bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.