300. win mag

matt_3479

Need some help from the folks on here. I know there is about a million posts from me about the same topic but i keep getting more confused. I know what i want in the end im just not sure how to get there. This is what i want; A relatively light/mid weight custom 300. win mag. around 13-14 lb range scoped hopefully.

Action: ?
blueprinted
Hollan recoil lug
brux barrel- 300 win mag, 10 twist, 26"-28" #4-#5 contour
chamber/crown/fit/320 grit finish/engrave-
custom throat- $25 (throated for 210 berger vld)
McMillan A3/pad/2 studs- (70% black, 15% olive and 15% light tan)
Pillar/glass bed-
bolt fluted-
Timney trigger
install bolt knob- (KMW grenade style knob).

I have had 3 ideas on how to reach this build but not sure which route is the best to go and cant figure it out! I currently own a remington 700 7mm mag which would be a great doner action but would have to get the caliber switched. I was offered a 300. win mag 700 sendero for cheap and i could purchase that and build off that. The last route would be to buy a custom action and go from there. I figured the cheapest route would be taking the 7mm and changing it over but my issue is i would be out of a rifle for this season. If i went the Sendero route i might be wasting money on buying the sendero and customing it. If i bought the custom action it would be the most expensive route which might be a little bit of an issue but atleast i would still have my 7mm for this season and same goes to the sendero route.

WHAT TO DO!!

Need some help from the folks on here. I know there is about a million posts from me about the same topic but i keep getting more confused. I know what i want in the end im just not sure how to get there. This is what i want; A relatively light/mid weight custom 300. win mag. around 13-14 lb range scoped hopefully.

WHAT TO DO!!

I think you need to take a breather.

You first mentioned this build in February of 2011 and you have 4 new threads on it in 3 days this week!

We can't make the decision for you. That's up to you. A new thread every day asking us really won't get you what you want.
The best route is the route you take - we can't take it for you.

Work up a budget, decide what you want (a goal), and then see how the two meet. Is the goal a long range 300 or a long range no-holds-barred 300? Or just a rifle that can shoot long range? If so, you have one of those already.

If you can afford a full custom, then do it. If you can only afford it by selling your 7mm and your 300, then do that first while you order the parts for the custom. If a full custom at $4000 just isn't in your budget no matter what then maybe it's time to adjust your sights. It's a heck of an expensive way to start long range shooting before you even know if you really like it or not.

Once you figure that out contact a gunsmith and build it ... or just buy the Sendero you mention and shoot it. :D That's what I did - and my Sendero shoots as well as my hunting partner's $4000 custom.

Good luck with your build. Let us know when it's ordered.

I would keep the 7mm in circulation and get the Sendero and build off of that. Who knows, it may fill the niche that you think you're missing, and it may very well be a great shooter. With LR scope it will probably weigh right at 13lbs. JohnnyK.

I think you need to take a breather.

You first mentioned this build in February of 2011 and you have 4 new threads on it in 3 days this week!

We can't make the decision for you. That's up to you. A new thread every day asking us really won't get you what you want.
The best route is the route you take - we can't take it for you.

Work up a budget, decide what you want (a goal), and then see how the two meet. Is the goal a long range 300 or a long range no-holds-barred 300? Or just a rifle that can shoot long range? If so, you have one of those already.

If you can afford a full custom, then do it. If you can only afford it by selling your 7mm and your 300, then do that first while you order the parts for the custom. If a full custom at $4000 just isn't in your budget no matter what then maybe it's time to adjust your sights. It's a heck of an expensive way to start long range shooting before you even know if you really like it or not.

Once you figure that out contact a gunsmith and build it ... or just buy the Sendero you mention and shoot it. :D That's what I did - and my Sendero shoots as well as my hunting partner's $4000 custom.

Good luck with your build. Let us know when it's ordered.

It don't get no simpler than that ...

+1 good advice has been given above

If you're struggling with this decision, then perhaps now's not the time to pull the trigger.

7RM is nothing to be ashamed of. You can easily and incrementally bed or change the stock, tune or upgrade the trigger, upgrade your optics, etc... while you decide what you really want and work towards that goal.

All of those types of upgrades will still pay off when you decide to switch from 7RM to 300WM.

-- richard

you are in the exact position i was a little over a year ago. I left my 7mm alone and bought a sendero in .300 wm. I am slowly starting to customize it. I started by dropping it in a new stock with a bedding job and bolt handle to come soon. In my opinion, its tough to beat a sendero as "slow" custom build. Mine has been incredible with both factory ammo and reloads right out of the box.

I'll throw my vote in for the Sendero as well. You might want to consider sending it to someone like Hill Country Rifles for accurizing, a trigger job, and a Wyatt box magazine. Could be a cost effective way to a capable long range rifle. Don't forget a really good scope will cost as much or more than the rifle, and you want a really good scope for LR. How are you set for all the other LR tools? Good rangefinder, ballistic calculator, weather station, and some sort of slope indicator... or just go with the G7 rangefinder and have it all in one tool, one $1600 tool. How about a bipod and scope level? To do this right you investment may be considerably more than just the cost of the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.