300 win mag

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by GI44, Nov 29, 2011.

1. GI44

GI44 Member

i have decided to buy 300 win mag and am trying to find a good rifle with a muzzle brake and acu trigger. but i dont want to break the bank either. any suggestions?

2. Clndesl

Clndesl Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you are looking for a Savage 111 LRH. They make a 300 wm and it is supposed to shoot welll right from yhe factory and it has a break too

3. GI44

GI44 Member

yea it looks pretty good. ive been looking at savages a lot and their rather cheap compared to other brands i just dont know if the gun is cheaply made as well.

4. RFtinkerer

RFtinkerer Well-Known Member

I was going between the LRH and Bear Hunter, I ended up with the Savage Bear Hunter in 300 WM--that has the accutrigger, accustock, muzzle break that you would like as well. I've been having some difficulties finding a load (I don't reload), but settled on Hornady 180 SST (NOT superformance--that shoots like crap in my rifle). I like it; the stainless fluted barrel and camo stock is attractive to me (not to others, I understand.) I ended up putting camo tape over the barrel for hunting this year. After hunting season ends I'm going to try to find a more accurate load for it; I've purchased some Federal Gold Medal Match and Hornady 195 BTHP match to see if I can get the groups down to a half inch at 100. I've also ordered Dave Tubb's final finish if I don't get the groups I want right off; the worst that would happen is that I'd need to order another barrel sooner, IMO; not a big deal.

5. GI44

GI44 Member

I was acctually looking at the bear hunter as well and think it looks great. Have you ever shot any longer distances like 200-300 yards? Let me know if you ever get it to group tight or not.

6. RFtinkerer

RFtinkerer Well-Known Member

I've taken it to 600 and hit okay with these rounds, 1.5 moa or so. That isn't bad for hunting, and where I'm sitting right now, I won't have a shot greater than 100 anyway. Now if a nice buck would walk by! I think I might be too impatient for hunting. Give me two weeks through this season and I'll try precision shooting again.