300 win mag

swa

What is the best choice for a 300 win mag over the counter bolt rifle? Action must be of Remington or Winchester type. And must be LEFT HAND. Im not interested in Savage type actions. Currently looking at Remington 700 CDL, Ruger M77, Kimber 8400 and Tikka any other options im missing that fit my critera? I'm looking for the most accurate (out to 500+yrds) and quality built rifle to withstand extreme condition.
Thanks again in advance for all advice and info.

I'm also a lefty and I happend to find a Win M70 in 300WM left hand a little while back. The rifle was previously owned but like new and all stainless with wood furniture. Didn't really need the rifle but with lefty's I buy what I can find.

The Ruger would be my vote, I really like them and unless you plan on customizing it then it would be great a stocker. If you wanted to go custom later I would go Rem 700.

Joe Oakes

If you never plan to customize, I'd go Tikka, 1MOA gaurantee out of the box, and they live up to it.
If you plan to customize I'd go with the Remy's. I don't understand the aversion to savage's though, I'm pretty sure if you took that caveat out of your question 9 out of 10 replies would be for the savage.

Devildoc, you beat me to the punch on the Savage, I have a 300 Stevens 200 (Savage) and it shoots Black Hills factory ammo at less than an inch at 100 yards with a really crappy trigger and the tupperware stock (stiffened and bedded)!! I don't understand the aversion to savage except people find the action and nut somewhat unattractive,,but they shoot like a house on fire out of the box!!!

I would go with the M700. At some point, you could have the action blueprinted, a custom barrel installed, and bedded in a HS Precissin stock.
Now you have a left handed "Sendero" but with a trued action and a much better barrel.

The other option is to look for a 300 Win Mag Sendero take off barrel. Order the HS Precission stock and you are in the "Sendero".

JD338

Last edited:
Within your criteria I would go for the CDL.

Outside your criteria: I just bought a Savage FLVSS in .300 win. Granted, crappy stock, but stainless with 26" heavy fluted barrel. $400. Tough for a lefty to pass up.

i would gp with the remington but there alot of nice wood stocked left handed savages i dont think stevens comes in left hand but ive been known to be wrong

JIM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.